1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Power Pistol is my first choice in max velocity non +P loads
I have seen you say that a few times...I researched it a little further and found it to be true, (not that I doubted you) and thats why I chose to start with it...I also bought 4 lbs of Unique...but its for my combat course loads.

· Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Yup, for max loads it's PP. For just about everything else I use Unique.

What's the old saying about "great minds run in the same direction":wink:.

I started out with Win 231 just because I liked Winchester "everything", powder, primers (still the only ones I buy), bullets (too expensive now), and brass. As I've learned from trial & error, I use what I can economically purchase. Haven't shot much in the last yr or so, but at the Aug 06 gunshow, got 10K 255 lswc'ers & 10K Win LP primers. Still got plenty of powder & brass too--------------Let the anarchy begin (but not until I get my AR :wink:). Then I can really "reach out & touch someone!)Tracy

· Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
BTW...thanks for the tip about playin around with the OAL...I will experiment with it...but 1.26 seems good with the Speer TMJ's.
I noticed in the Hornady manual that I bought today that it says 1.23 for the same load but the powder charge is .3 lighter...I'm guessing that about evens it out.

BTW...case length sets the headspace on a 45 acp ...right?

· Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Recon,

You'll really cry when I tell you that I only paid $33 per 1K (when you buy bulk---5K or larger order). 230 rnl were $32 per 1k in bulk orders. Primers were $17 per 1K. Yea, I got a good deal.:wink: Co. that I get my bullets from are in Ranbourne Ala. Mom&Pop owned family shop that travels the SE gunshows. Call your order in in advance and pick it up at the gunshow. Down side is that they don't do credit cards & they don't ship. I had gotten a 5K order of 230rnl at the earlier Jan gunshow and liked their prices. Still have 3k of the 230's and 8k+ of the 255's. Owner told me that in over 25 yrs of casting, I was only the 2cnd order of 10K 255's he'd ever done. I like them and they shoot pretty good too. Tracy

· Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yes case length sets headspace
Thanks...I thought it did. But it made me wonder why the reloading manuals had a "trim to" length specified. For example...the Speer manual says "trim to" .888, and the max case length is .898.
The Remington brass I ordered are almost all .893...which seems to headspace about right in my pistol. But .895 is flush...does it improve accuracy to have a perfect (flush) headspace? I know it helps in bottleneck rifle rounds, but I'm new at pistols.

· Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Never trimmed or measured any of my cases. Never loaded or shot rifles. Tracy

· Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Never trimmed or measured any of my cases. Never loaded or shot rifles. Tracy
My first true love was and is long range rifle shooting...I have reloaded many rounds of 308 and 300 Win Mag...but its been a few years. A friend that also shoots long range has been loading my rifle rounds for at least 15 years.
I had to call him today and ask the recipe for my own load:rofl:

· Registered
4,029 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it on a 45 by time it is to long the brass should be cracking

· Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
I tried 7.0 grains @ 1.250 OAL...they ran fine, averaged 818 fps.

Also...I found a load my gun likes, its 7.2 grains @ 1.250 OAL, 860 fps...A 5 shot, 25 yard group, fired from a solid rest (bag of shot) was 1, not very ragged, hole. :smile:

· Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Congrats! Glad you found your load. I'm sooooooo envious at being able to shoot in your own back yard. I live inside the Greensboro city limits and they sorta frown on that here.:nonono: One of these days I'm gonna get a chrono too.

Any pressure signs on your primers? How far does the brass eject?

Good shootin, Great gun. Tracy

· Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
No signs of pressure...the brass ejects just like the factory Golden Sabres I been shooting, about 8 feet to my right and a little behind me...but it is about time for a fresh recoil spring, 900 rounds on that one.

· Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I borrowed a chrono...

· Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Excellent results! Do you use a shock buff?

With no signs of pressure, (I'm a little on the extreme side sometimes) I'd kick it up .1 at a time and see where accuracy, velocity and pressure goes. But that's just me. Tracy

· Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
No shok buff...I went all the way to 8.0 grains...920 fps, and enough muzzle blast and flash to blow out an oil well fire. Still no signs of too much pressure.

· Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to tell you about the flash. When I shot 45supers (185 gr JHP w/11.5 of Power Pistol---1500+ fps) it shoots a pie flame about 1'-1 1/2' in dia about 2' out in front of the gun. Beautiful if you're not in stealth mode. Power Pistol in it's hotter loads just "barks".

How "clean" is it shooting compared to factory and other loads? Tracy

· Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Its cleaner than any factory ammo I've tried once I get to 7.3 grains or more.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.