1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Ridge,

7.0 sounds OK try a couple at 1.250 oal and see how they work. Did the 1.260 oal cycle ok, or did they sound more like a "ker-thunk" when they chambered? Most guns will have a "sweet" oal that chambers easier and smoother than other oal's. Part of the fun of reloading. What recoil spring # do you have in your Stinger? Just re-read your post, try hand cycling the 1.260 & 1.250 oals. You should be able to hear a diff in how they chamber. You don't have to make "live" rds for this, just seat a bullet at that oal.

By the way, congrats on getting into "the family". We're all here to help. Tracy

· Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
He said it was a Stinger. Not entirely uptodate on Baer's, but isn't that a Commander length? I use a #20 on my LTW Comm. Tracy

· Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
16 & 18 are too light. I just checked the Baer site. A Stinger is an Officer's frame and Commander slide. Tracy

· Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Bud,

I stand corrected. Most manufacturer's list a #18 for a Comm length slide and #20 for hardball and hotter loads. Tracy

· Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Well if you can't get there w/o +P, there's always "DoubleTap Ammo". Hottest non-+P ammo available. Tracy

· Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Power Pistol is my first choice in max velocity non +P loads, and Longshot is my 2cnd choice. Tracy

· Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Yup, for max loads it's PP. For just about everything else I use Unique.

What's the old saying about "great minds run in the same direction":wink:.

I started out with Win 231 just because I liked Winchester "everything", powder, primers (still the only ones I buy), bullets (too expensive now), and brass. As I've learned from trial & error, I use what I can economically purchase. Haven't shot much in the last yr or so, but at the Aug 06 gunshow, got 10K 255 lswc'ers & 10K Win LP primers. Still got plenty of powder & brass too--------------Let the anarchy begin (but not until I get my AR :wink:). Then I can really "reach out & touch someone!)Tracy

· Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Recon,

You'll really cry when I tell you that I only paid $33 per 1K (when you buy bulk---5K or larger order). 230 rnl were $32 per 1k in bulk orders. Primers were $17 per 1K. Yea, I got a good deal.:wink: Co. that I get my bullets from are in Ranbourne Ala. Mom&Pop owned family shop that travels the SE gunshows. Call your order in in advance and pick it up at the gunshow. Down side is that they don't do credit cards & they don't ship. I had gotten a 5K order of 230rnl at the earlier Jan gunshow and liked their prices. Still have 3k of the 230's and 8k+ of the 255's. Owner told me that in over 25 yrs of casting, I was only the 2cnd order of 10K 255's he'd ever done. I like them and they shoot pretty good too. Tracy

· Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Never trimmed or measured any of my cases. Never loaded or shot rifles. Tracy

· Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Congrats! Glad you found your load. I'm sooooooo envious at being able to shoot in your own back yard. I live inside the Greensboro city limits and they sorta frown on that here.:nonono: One of these days I'm gonna get a chrono too.

Any pressure signs on your primers? How far does the brass eject?

Good shootin, Great gun. Tracy

· Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Excellent results! Do you use a shock buff?

With no signs of pressure, (I'm a little on the extreme side sometimes) I'd kick it up .1 at a time and see where accuracy, velocity and pressure goes. But that's just me. Tracy

· Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to tell you about the flash. When I shot 45supers (185 gr JHP w/11.5 of Power Pistol---1500+ fps) it shoots a pie flame about 1'-1 1/2' in dia about 2' out in front of the gun. Beautiful if you're not in stealth mode. Power Pistol in it's hotter loads just "barks".

How "clean" is it shooting compared to factory and other loads? Tracy

· Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
7.2-7.3 might be +P if you're using about a 1.150 oal. Agreed, he doesn't know as much as he thinks he does. Prime example of why you have to take ALL reloading advice with a grain of salt and a little forethought. Don't just dive in and accept all info as gosple truth. Good to see all ent well. Going slow gives good results and you can see changes in things when you only change one thing at a time. I.E. powder charge only, oal only, bullet only. Then you can fine tune your results.

Can't wait for next years deer hunt results. You'll have a lot of time to try diff things. An imagination is a wonderful thing. That's how I found 255 cowboy bullets. :wink: Tracy

· Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
I didn't keep records of my reloads for about the first yr or so. Wish I could remember some of myfirst loads. Tried a different powder each time one ran out. By the time I got around to going back to an already used powder, I couldn't remember what loads worked best for each bullet. I've loaded rds from 152 gr to 300 grs. All worked well for it's intended purpose. Wish somebody would give me another 500 of the 300 gr'rs like they did the first time I used them. Liked them a lot, but they're not as economical as my 255's. Tracy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.