1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my press and all the accessories set up finally.
I loaded 10 rounds today...230 TMJ over 7 grains of Power Pistol in Remington brass trimmed to .888, OAL 1.26, CCI 300 primers...the recommended start load in my Speer manual....and heres what I learned...

This load is too light to cycle the slide on my Stinger... After all 10 rounds the case was stuck in the ejection port backwards. Ruined 10 cases...but thats better than 10 fingers.:biggrin: I'm going to up the charge by 2/10ths of a grain and try it again tomorrow.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Ridge,

7.0 sounds OK try a couple at 1.250 oal and see how they work. Did the 1.260 oal cycle ok, or did they sound more like a "ker-thunk" when they chambered? Most guns will have a "sweet" oal that chambers easier and smoother than other oal's. Part of the fun of reloading. What recoil spring # do you have in your Stinger? Just re-read your post, try hand cycling the 1.260 & 1.250 oals. You should be able to hear a diff in how they chamber. You don't have to make "live" rds for this, just seat a bullet at that oal.

By the way, congrats on getting into "the family". We're all here to help. Tracy

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
as said try 1.250 and go up slowly .. load 5-10 rounds .1 grain higher then 5-10 .2 and go up to what you want to and try them ..

As you find out what load ya like at 5-10 rounds you can just pull the bullets on the hotter ones .. then you dont have to make a ton of trips to find out what it likes.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1.26 seems pretty darn smooth going in the chamber. After 5 hand cycles...none had any "setback" ( crimped at .469).
On my second batch...I left the cases .893...appeared to have less headspace that way, but not hardly flush. My recoil spring is a 20# conventional...the stock 21# variable just didn't work at all with factory full power loads (HyrdaShoks, Golden Sabres an such).
I will try the 1.25 tomorrow...at the same charge (7.2 grains). I had forgotten how much fun reloading was...

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
What 45 are you shooting with a stock 21# Recoil spring that think is WAY overspung

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
or better yet a 16

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
He said it was a Stinger. Not entirely uptodate on Baer's, but isn't that a Commander length? I use a #20 on my LTW Comm. Tracy

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
then you dont have to make a ton of trips to find out what it likes
Not a problem... the trips aint too long....I just open the back door and let er rip.:dancingbananna:

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
16 & 18 are too light. I just checked the Baer site. A Stinger is an Officer's frame and Commander slide. Tracy

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is a Stainless Stinger...It seems to run good with the 20...I tend to like the hotter loads ..but not +P.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
ohh you didnt say it was for a stinger thats diff a 18 would work though

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Bud,

I stand corrected. Most manufacturer's list a #18 for a Comm length slide and #20 for hardball and hotter loads. Tracy

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm just playin around with it right now...getting the hang of it again.
But soon I'm going to work up a load with 230 grain XTP's for next years deer season.
If I can get 860 fps with 230 XTP's, without resorting to +P, I will be good to go.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Well if you can't get there w/o +P, there's always "DoubleTap Ammo". Hottest non-+P ammo available. Tracy

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I should be able to get there...It clocked factory 230 Golden Sabres at 862 fps. And Federal Tactical 230 grain HydraShoks at 880 fps (non +P for both loads), thats not bad for a Commander length barrel.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Power Pistol is my first choice in max velocity non +P loads, and Longshot is my 2cnd choice. Tracy

1 - 20 of 45 Posts