1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Dad to a gun and knife show on Friday. He is a longtime shotgun collector but had no handguns. I just bought my first pistol a few months ago and wanted him to join me in the hobby, so I took him to find and buy a gun.

He feel in love with the DW CBOB (after looking at hundreds of 1911s). We got the gun home and I was showing him how the basic functions of the gun work (which is all I know). He has a really hard time reaching the slide release. I told him I would check into getting an extended slide release for him. Do I need to order one from DW, or can I locate one elsewhere and it use it instead (without voiding the warranty). Is there a particular extended slide release you recommend? Lastly, should it be easy for me to install?

Thanks for any feedback. We are both new to 1911s and I am looking forward to learning more.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Which hand is he trying to use???

Many people have to shift the gun slightly to use the strong hand to release the slide.

The best way is to use the left thumb when you push a fresh mag in...when the mag hits home, his left thumb should be right there, just flip it down and you're ready to rock...with practice its way faster than "slingshotting".

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Yup, slam mag home and hit the slide release with the left thumb. One handed requires shifting the gun slightly to reach it.

Having an extended slide release presents the problem of your support hand hitting it by accident during recoil, locking the slide open with ammo still in the mag. Tracy

Congrats on a fine pistol for your dad. My dad wouldn't touch or talk about firearms after he came back from WW2. I was lucky enough to get my son interested and shot with me when I lived in Md.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I posted on the other board you posted on is it a carry gun then no extended release if range it would be ok

try the slingshot method for releasing the slide

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies. It will not be for carry, for the range and maybe home defense. I showed him full sized models (since I thought he'd just use it for the range), but none really caught his eye (we looked at Kimbers, Colts, Springfields, etc.). He almost bought a Kimber TLE II, a Springfield TRP, and a Cotl Series 70. But then I pointed out the Dan Wesson and his eyes got big. He picked up the Pointman and the CBOB and just really liked the feel of the bobedtail and night sites.

Sounds like before we get an extended slide release put in, we should practice on our form and clean the gun and work on putting some rounds down range and loosening it up some as well.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree w/ the above. I have med-small hands and I just hit the release w/ my left thumb. No shifting of right hand required. Give it a shot before swapping parts! :smile:

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
OK...sling shot vs. slide stop

Everybody put on their flame suits....:flame:

Both ways work... It depends on the person and what they are comfortable with.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input everyone. I took the CBOB to the range yesterday and had a great time (I had to make sure it worked before I gave it back to my Dad :wink:).

I only had time to put 100 rounds through it, but it shot like a dream. This was my first time to shoot a .45 so it took me about 25 rounds to get into a rhythm. I used the slingshot method and never had to use the slide stop. Hopefully my Dad will have as easy of a time adapting as I did.

BTW here is a pick of the CBOB

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Looking Good

·
COTEP door greeter
91 Posts
Those grips look great! I don't know who provides DW's grips but they are among the best factory grips I have ever seen. Excellent fit and outstanding figure as far as I am concerned, the only detriment that I have heard of is dye transfer or "bleeding".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts