1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked one up yesterday (read as "stole it") from Cabela's. In the used cabinet, but looks as if it may never have been fired. :eek:
Anyway, the question is this - Can that hammer be changed out for something different? I don't know squat about the Taurus safety system that is present there, but DO know that I find the hammer highly distasteful and would love to switch it out. This weapon will never be carried and will only go to the range and outdoor shooting with my boy. Any info is appreciated!
Thanks,
Sarge

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, you can change out the hammer... I have seen many changed out for wilson's hammers... I think it is wise to also change the sear at the same time... I dremeled my right hand safety to fit my Crimson trace grips but I would be more apt to have a true gunsmith change out the hammer.

PS... What's wrong with the hammer?... lol, I like mine and it works well :) Dontcha like the snazzy lock?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, you can change out the hammer... I have seen many changed out for wilson's hammers... I think it is wise to also change the sear at the same time... I dremeled my right hand safety to fit my Crimson trace grips but I would be more apt to have a true gunsmith change out the hammer.

PS... What's wrong with the hammer?... lol, I like mine and it works well :) Dontcha like the snazzy lock?
Thanks for the info!
Yeah, I never have cared for the round hammer type on a 1911. Looks good on my CZ SP-01, but I can't stand it on a 1911. Your Taurus looks great with the CT grips. I saw the pics. Very nice!
Thanks again,
Sarge

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the info!
Yeah, I never have cared for the round hammer type on a 1911. Looks good on my CZ SP-01, but I can't stand it on a 1911. Your Taurus looks great with the CT grips. I saw the pics. Very nice!
Thanks again,
Sarge
Thanks Sarge,

Here are some pics of PT-1911's I found on other forums with different hammers... Ed Brown and Wilson's I believe.

Hope these pics help you with your hammer search.

These last two have a standard hammer... I just like the job he did on it and the color combo... Not crazy about the slide art but other than that it is really nice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.