1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got back thursday from a 15 day vacation to Mexico. I flew to Toluca spent most of my time there, spent several days in Mexico city and hit several places of interest. Here are some pics if anyone is interested. Most inside shots had to be done without flash and some are not very good. I kept some bad ones though just for the content.

Mexico 2008 Vacation

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Jerry, Great pictures and it appears that you had a great time!!! Welcome back!!! My wife and I collect Coca Cola, I really liked the picture with the Coke sign in the background. :smile: Never been to Toluca or Mexico City but have been to Cozumel many times!!!

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks. Mexico city and the places I visited are definitely worth seeing, but I still prefer the costal places. This is more of a sight seeing trip where the costal places are a relaxation/have fun trip. I was visiting someone so that pretty much defined where I was going. I enjoyed it overall. LOTS of american stores, restaurants and companies. Sams and walmart look just like the ones here and pretty much cost the same. The same with the restaurants, don't visit a chili's in mexico. I did to take someone so they could try it and it sucked, including the service. It cost about the same as here. The food on the streets and taco shops is by far the best.

Something I already knew here as I can get mexican cokes in the mexican stores, here, but coke here tastes different than mexican coke. To me coke there tastes flatter like it has been left out all night, kind of like pepsi tastes to me.

I drink very little any more but I still like michiladas. Beer with lime juice mixed in and salt on the glass rim like a margarita. They hit the spot after walking around the pyramids a few hours.

Some things of note:

The taxis are tiny. Have fun getting in the front of a sub compact? Try getting in the back of one every time you need a ride.

Ice is asked for extra. Otherwise you get room temp water, juice, etc. Be careful anyway, bottled water is what I drank and ice in many places is not filtered.

The people in places like mexico city and toluca are not as friendly as most costal places. Marcela says the ones in toluca where she lives are the coldest in mexico, even more than mexico city. Don't walk around any part of mexico city with jewelry. Put money in different pockets so as not to pull out a lot at once. I have a money belt.

I did not see many americans at all any place I went, it suprised me. There were 2 on the tour to the pyramids and a couple of them on the turibus. I don't recall seeing any walking around.

People there are hot natured even in the cooler places like toluca. Every place is hot to me and when I am comfortable everyone is wearing jackets. I knew it would be like this as people I know set their temp to around 85 degrees in the summer and I cook at that. It's hotter than my mothers house.

Elevators. Not the same safety regulations. Entering an elevator is a stealth mission. It will nail you quickly, and knock you to the other door. Try to be in the center as you will only get squeezed and have to fight your way out. Otherwise you will get knocked around and then squeezed. They seem to sense when a foreigner is near.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.