1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Ok, I will show my ignorance.
Tolerance Stacking?
I'm assuming that you mean that when all the different parts that are not exact, the smoothness of the gun goes away.?
I have purchased one 1911 new. All others us
ed. New Taurse PT1911, SIG SAUER used 50 rnds through it, Springfield (highly modified, scoped).all will put holes where I want if I do my part correctly. Right now I can't afford to buy a gun and spend as much or more to get it right. Maybe because I have never owned or handled a High End gun, I don't know what I'm missing. LOL

· Registered
7 Posts
"Tolerance Stacking " refers to dimensions which are specified on a drawing, where there are several dimensions in a row, or that interact with each other, within a general tolerance given in the tolerance block of the drawing. The sum total of those dimensions with their tolerances either high or low, exceed the total dimension of the stack by more than the tolerance for the individual dimension from the origin to the last feature alone.

A pistol has many parts thy work in unison with other parts. Change the dimension of one part could affect the function other parts, When the dimension of a new parts interacts with its next part and on down the line it could ultimately make a gun nonfunctional. The smoothness of action could be an indication of tolerance stacking.

Change all the parts at one time and you could have a mess on your hands.

I'm not a gunsmith or a machinist, so this is a very "civilian" definition.

My Metro Arms Government Model has about 3,000 rounds thru it. It has been 100% reliable and consistent so its accuracy is solely dependent on me. It can't get any better, so changing parts for this gun would likely decrease it's performance.

OK, you got me, I did change the grips!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.