1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what exactly is metal galling?

I've heard of it (more associated with stainless guns)
But I'm not positive what it is.

and how's it happen/what causes it?

anyone have any pics?

thanks

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Galling is when two relatively soft metals that are in sliding contact with each other attempt to 'weld' together. It's a form of cold welding.

The sliding metal molecules begin to roughen, then some material from one part tries to transfer to the other part. The result is a very rough, bumpy surface that can often create 'gouges' in the parts.

The process caused by friction is called plastic deformation. Modern metallurgy has benefited from advanced lubricants and heat treating techniques of the metals.

Keep 'er lubed up and occasionally dress any galled areas with a fine file.
If the area gets too dry or too rough the two parts may permanently 'weld' itself together.
Not good.

Here's a link if your more technically inclined...

Hope this helps...

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks TJ

here's some pics
Does this look like galling or something else?

I noticed them at around 500 round count.
They don't seem to have gotten any worse after several thousand more rounds

so I don't know if it's of any concern or not

there's no marks on the frame, so I guess it's the guide rod (?) that did the scratching/mashing?

..L.T.A.

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
Just from the picture it does not look like galling. it looks like something is hitting it causing the marks look at your frame you may see where the two are touching It won't hurt to look at your barrel either.Looks like something got in the pistol as you were firing it, and gives the impression of galling. Bad metal used can also create the same issue.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Cap, it's difficult to tell from the picture but it looks like you have a chunk out of the slide. It could be a faulty casting?
If it is, then when the slide heated up during firing, the weakest part of the area noted started to come apart.

The results looks to be several scratches or gouges along either side of the 'crater' exposed by the disintegration of the bad area.

Technically that's not galling, but it gives you the same result.

You have a couple of choices.
1-Do nothing - (not my recommendation).
2-Send it back to Rock Island - they may or may not, do anything about it?
3-Dress the area gently with a fine file and a stone (without breaking any edges) to remove any bumps or 'boogers' that may be still there. Then, carefully inspect the frame in the same area - gently, file and stone as necessary to clean it up.

If all feels smooth, assemble the slide and frame and hand cycle it with a little lapping compound on the rails. Then clean it and lube it with something like 'slide guide' and test fire the pistol. Clean and inspect after ever magazine.
If it gets worse, STOP!
If you don't notice any further deterioration and the pistol cycles correctly, it may be OK to keep it as a 'range beater'.

If it were my pistol and I wanted to keep it, I would never let the pistol run dry... keep her wet.
Continue to shoot it as a 'beater' and inspect it after every session.
If it gets worse take it to your gunsmith.

I would consider replacing the slide. The slide is easy to replace.... the frame is not.

If you don't feel comfortable doing any of this take it to your gunsmith.

Note:
This very issue is why some firearms cost so much more than others. Metallurgy is a critical part of the manufacturing process.
Some companies produce fine materials, some others not so good.

:wink:

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks TJ (and Vic)

i really don't know exactly when it got gouged.
I was cleaning it shortly after i bought it new and noticed them.
I'm guessing it had maybe 500 rounds thru it by then.

I've since kept a close eye on them after every shooting session.
I've shot 3000+ rounds since first discovering them and it doesn't appear to have gotten any worse

Is it possible it came from the factory like that and was a tooling/manufacturing "oops"?

I can't find anything on the frame that would indicate it caused it.

as far as a "beater", LOL brother, it IS a beater.:biglaugh:
That's why I bought it.
$339 new, i really didn't expect much and as you say, "you get what you pay for"
I knew that when I bought it.
it was my second 1911

I bought to shoot the barrel of, cut/modify and learn the 1911 platform.
It's been good for that, and honestly, i have to say it's been a reliable shooter.

i doubt I'll send it back now.
heck, i've done so many things to it now, They may say i voided the warranty.
Which i wouldn't make too much of huff over, if they did

I'll continue to keep an eye on it and keep it well lubed.
as a rule, i clean and lube after every shooting session.
Been using Shooter's Choice grease on the rails and lugs.
I'll check out the Slide Glide though

Thanks again for your help/knowledge educating me
It's greatly appreciated

..L.T.A.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.