1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cobra carry and a executive carry, both are fine shooters.

I was shooting my cobra carry one day, I had it holstered and was loading up some magazines, when I heard a sound like a spring coming out and objects fallng out and my pistol moved a little bit in my holster.

Well I looked around, my hearing is not so good any more and looked down

and the base plate had come off my magazine and the spring and the follower and rounds had come out of the pistol.

It looked like the weld had broken at the base plate. I still have the magazine some where.

I did not send it back in to be replaced, as I have a little over a hundered mags. for my 1911s.

The mags. we had in the corp. were 7 rounders and had the flat base plate welded on, I don't ever remember any of them breaking like that.

Just wondered if any one else had this happen to them.

I have put thousand of rounds thru. my Ed Browns and have not have any stoppages what so ever.

If I wanted another 1911 style pistol I would buy another ED Brown.

Just weird about the mag. that came with the pistol.

This is my first post.

Thanks

travis

G

·
I've heard of this happening frequently with Brown magazines. My advice would be to stay away from them as far as carry goes, and to look into some Tripp seven-rounders or Wilson 47C magazines instead.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Saw it happen at an IPSC match one day. Middle of the coarese of fire & bullets went everywhere. Found everything but the follower.
Springfield Factory mag. Almost new MilSpec gun.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Seen it happen to a few mags.. all you can do is inspect them and hope it doesn't happen in a time of need or switch mag makers

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I'm kind of suprised because metlaforms are usually good. The colt mags with m's on them are supposed be metalform's. I actually like them with a wilson follower/spring in them. Now I think the wilson and the act/novak mags are better, but for a flush mount steel based Mag I have alway had good luck wih them. The ones I had normally did come with colts. The 10mm mags that came with the dw cbob I had were metalforms also and they were great.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm kind of suprised because metlaforms are usually good. The colt mags with m's on them are supposed be metalform's. I actually like them with a wilson follower/spring in them. Now I think the wilson and the act/novak mags are better, but for a flush mount steel based Mag I have alway had good luck wih them. The ones I had normally did come with colts. The 10mm mags that came with the dw cbob I had were metalforms also and they were great.
I never got the rounded-follower metalform mags that came with my Executive Carry to work reliably, so I quit using them at all. Another friend with a Kobra Carry was at the range with me one day and this exact thing happened to him - the weld holding the baseplate on just broke. I gave him all of my MF mags and so far they are still holding up, but they are absolutely OFF of my list. The best mags I have found are Cylinder and Slide Ultra Duty Tactical mags. (7rd.) They are expensive but so far have been flawless. Wolffs are very good, too. Tripp mags seem very well built but they hold the round up so high that sometimes the feed lips will actually HIT the ejector on the gun. You might want to check this if you are using Tripps and haven't checked it before...........you don't want to be pounding your ejector loose every time you slam in a new mag........
DD
DD

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
The 10's I used with the round follower and never had a problem. The .45's I put the wilson guts in.

·
Texan
49 Posts
My New Agent came with Metal Form magazines. They have worked flawlessly for me. I did install 10lb wolff springs in them. I always install Wolff 10lb springs in my officers mags and 11lb springs in my full size ones. I really like ACT mags too.

At least your mag decided to let go at the range and not when you needed it.

I have a round follower metal form magazine but I've never used it yet. I thought it looke promising but Tim's experience worries me a bit. I guess I need to get some range time on it and see how it does. I need to look at the cylinder and slide magazines. I didn't even know they made any.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
W.W. I era magazine contractors

A - on top lip of base - American Pin Co., Waterbury, Conn.

B - on top lip of base - Barnes & Kobert Mfg. Co., New Britain, Conn.

L - on top lip of base - M. S. Little Mfg. Co., Hartford, Conn.

R - on top lip of base - Risdon Tool & Machine Co., Naugatuck, Conn.

R - on bottom lip of base - Raymond Engineering Corp., New York, NY.

W.W. II era magazine contractors

(Military magazines have the "letter" on top of the toe,
Civilian magazines have the "letters" on the bottom of the toe)

Unmarked - Colt's Patent Fire Arms Mfg. Co.

L - on top lip of base - C-L on bottom lip of base - M. S. Little Mfg. Co. (subcontracted for Colt)

R - on top lip of base - C-R on bottom lip of base - Risdon Tool & Machine Co. (subcontracted for Colt)

S - on top lip of base - Scovill Mfg. Co., Waterbury, Conn. (Scovill acquired American Pin Co. in 1923)

S - on top lip of base - C-S on bottom lip of base - Scovill Mfg. Co. (subcontracted for Colt)

G - on top lip of base - General Shaver Division of Remington Rand, Bridgeport, Conn.

New Colt magazines; Can be ordered directly from Colt, Customer Service Dept 1-800-962-2658.
The part number is SP53355B, seven round blue magazine.

M = Metalform - https://www.metalformmagazines.com/style.asp
C = Checkmate Industries - http://www.checkmateindustries.com/handgun.htm
O = OKAY Industries Inc.
200 ELLIS ST PO Box 2470
NEW BRITAIN, CT 06051-2470
CAGE CODE: 33710
Voice Telephone: 860-225-8707
County: HARTFORD
Date CAGE Code Established: 11/04/1974
Last Updated: 04/06/1998
G = ?
S = Stainless

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just bought 4 "G" stainless mags. Nobody can tell me about them. They seem very high quality, not like so many knockoffs I've seen. They have the dimpled flat follower.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Can you get any good pictures of the bases?
Most of the G magazines I've seen have been counterfeit.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Years ago I bought 6 Wilsons mags and when I open the package one fell out and drop about 6'' to the table top and few apart, base and spring. One more mag was like that, and the rest were good. I think they all screw up at times. Right now I carry Les Bear mags for ccw, so far so good and work well in all my 1911 45's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, good info.

W.W. I era magazine contractors

A - on top lip of base - American Pin Co., Waterbury, Conn.

B - on top lip of base - Barnes & Kobert Mfg. Co., New Britain, Conn.

R - on bottom lip of base - Raymond Engineering Corp., New York, NY.

W.W. II era magazine contractors

(Military magazines have the "letter" on top of the toe,
Civilian magazines have the "letters" on the bottom of the toe)

Unmarked - Colt's Patent Fire Arms Mfg. Co.

L - on top lip of base - C-L on bottom lip of base - M. S. Little Mfg. Co. (subcontracted for Colt)

R - on top lip of base - C-R on bottom lip of base - Risdon Tool & Machine Co. (subcontracted for Colt)

S - on top lip of base - Scovill Mfg. Co., Waterbury, Conn. (Scovill acquired American Pin Co. in 1923)

S - on top lip of base - C-S on bottom lip of base - Scovill Mfg. Co. (subcontracted for Colt)

G - on top lip of base - General Shaver Division of Remington Rand, Bridgeport, Conn.

New Colt magazines; Can be ordered directly from Colt, Customer Service Dept 1-800-962-2658.
The part number is SP53355B, seven round blue magazine.

M = Metalform - https://www.metalformmagazines.com/style.asp
C = Checkmate Industries - http://www.checkmateindustries.com/handgun.htm
O = OKAY Industries Inc.
200 ELLIS ST PO Box 2470
NEW BRITAIN, CT 06051-2470
CAGE CODE: 33710
Voice Telephone: 860-225-8707
County: HARTFORD
Date CAGE Code Established: 11/04/1974
Last Updated: 04/06/1998
G = ?
S = Stainless

Thanks for this post good info.

Travis

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Been a long time, SatCong............

Years ago I bought 6 Wilsons mags and when I open the package one fell out and drop about 6'' to the table top and few apart, base and spring. One more mag was like that, and the rest were good. I think they all screw up at times. Right now I carry Les Bear mags for ccw, so far so good and work well in all my 1911 45's.
Its been a long time since I heard SatCong.

I found my old viet cong hunting club pin,awhile a ago.

I pined it to my old cover.

Thanks, it brought back many memories.

Travis

·
Registered
203 Posts
I bought them off a gun forum, the seller has a good reputation. He said he got them in a bunch of stuff from an estate sale.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Don't shoot the messenger AZ, :wink: but I think those are the "Reproduction Colt®" magazines from Sportsman's Guide.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts