1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the proper proceedure to measure for a custom EGW monogram bushing?
(or any bushing if different)

I have digital and dial calipers

what and where exactly should I be measuring?

Thanks

..L.T.A.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Just the barrel, but I would call egw and tell them what you have and they can tell you exactly what you need. They have the drop in bushing, which is actually a very nice fit and better than a factory fit (I used one before) or you can get one slightly larger that you have to fit (done that too). They won't try to cut one exactly to your size though. Eithher way just call them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Jerry, I've got an oversize bushing coming in. I've never fitted one, but wanted to give it a try. I'm pretty clear about how to fit the bushing ID to the barrel OD, but have some questions about fitting bushing OD to slide ID.

Specifically, I'm wondering about the "locking lug" on the bushing. Does it normally have to be "fitted" in any way? Or is there enough "slop" in the locking groove in the slide?

Since you've done one of these, do you have any guidance for me? Any tips on how to "sand down" the bushing OD? I'm presuming you make the bushing OD smaller, rather than the slide ID bigger.

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jerry

mOOcho appree-shee-ate-o

My bobtail, jig and Kuhnhousen manual shipped yesterday from Brownells.

Wish I'd ordered it sooner, cause it would be a nice weekend project
I doubt it will arrive today though
(sad face icon)

..L.T.A.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I've done more than one and the lug on the bushing you should not have to worry about, it should fit as it is.

Yes, any fitting you do on the bushing, not the slide or barrel. I just double up sandpaper (a rough grit first then a smooth grit) and do the "ring" that slides into the slide first before the locking lug since the lug blocks doing them at the same time. Then I move to the one between the lug and the face of the bushing, there's not a lot of room there. I just double sandpaper where it will fit in there, then grab both ends together stick a finger through the bushing and sand away. I use first coarse to get it where I want it then fine to smooth it out.

Others probably do it different and whatever works for each person, but I like using sandpaper. I just watch tv or something and take my time.

Jerry, I've got an oversize bushing coming in. I've never fitted one, but wanted to give it a try. I'm pretty clear about how to fit the bushing ID to the barrel OD, but have some questions about fitting bushing OD to slide ID.

Specifically, I'm wondering about the "locking lug" on the bushing. Does it normally have to be "fitted" in any way? Or is there enough "slop" in the locking groove in the slide?

Since you've done one of these, do you have any guidance for me? Any tips on how to "sand down" the bushing OD? I'm presuming you make the bushing OD smaller, rather than the slide ID bigger.
No problem cap, I absolutely love working on 1911's and there's just something about doing it yourself that feels just plain good. To me anyway.

You guys don't forget to share pic's of your work with us.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes, any fitting you do on the bushing, not the slide or barrel.
Thanks for the advice. I know the old adage to "work on the cheapest part", but I thought it would be easier to "shoeshine" down the OD of the barrel, than the ID of the bushing. The wall thickness of the barrel is substantial enough that it can lose about .005" in dia., isn't it?

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I'm sure you absolutely can, but you can never put new metal on the barrel and you can get a new bushing. New bushings are much cheaper than new barrels. I personally would not but it's up to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts