1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: I'm new to the board but have been a lurker for some time. I''ve just received my Hornady LNL AP and wanted to use my Lyman Powder thru expander. The only trouble is I can't figure out how to make the Hornady case operated powder drop work with it...:bawling:

Does anyone have an idea of how this works? I've tried the Hornady Powder thru expander feature but it doesn't bell the case enough for the bullet to seat properly.

I appreciate any help:flag:

Thanks

Bullet

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sounds to me like you just need to adjust your Hornady die right. You can screw it in a bit further to make the bell bigger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Try this product, itworks with my 380, 9mm, 38 special, 357 mag, 40 smith&wesson, 45apc with little adjestment, from http://powderfunnels.com/products.html
I ordered the PTX from Powderfunnels.com last Monday and haven't heard from them as to a shipping date even after 2 emails. So tonight I ordered the Lee Powder through expander and will rig up my LNL to it somehow. I guess they either have too much business there or not enough. Half a mind to canx my order and cancel the credit card payment.

Bill

·
Registered
25 Posts
Are we sure that there isn't just one guy who's pushing powderfunnel.com?
There seems to be a world-wide problem with people not able to bell their cases with the Hornady PTX's. Since I have NEVER had any problem getting the case mouths belled on my Hornady L-N-L, I can't even imagine what the problem is. Of course, I read the directions.
If you can get the powder measure to completely cycle up and down fully, you can make the next small increment with the die to bell the case. If the press is not being completely cycled, you have more problems than simply the lack of case mouth belling.
1) Talk to Hornady
2) Read the directions
3) Ask for PTXs for lead bullets (they have lead bullet PTXs to bell the case mouth even more than the regular PTXs will)
4) I do not think you can adapt the Lyman PTE dies to actuate a powder measure
5) Use the Hornady expand/bell die prior to powder drop (or the RCBS, Redding, or Lee expanders)
6) Buy the Dillon powder measure and use their "powder funnels." Set-up is bit easier, but the measure itself is not quite as good as the hornady L-N-L.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also use a hornady LNL, and had problems with the PTX expander from hornady.I did read the directions and my powder measure micrometer was moving all the way to the top and stopping against the housing before the stroke bottomed out. The case mouth would bell to the point that the bullet would sit on top, but when the shellplate rotates the bullet would fall off. I called hornady tech support and he said you do have to hold the bullet during the seating process. I then ordered a expander from powderfunnels.com and have run about 1000 rds with it and like it much better. It will bell the case wide enough to hold the bullet in place as the shellplate turns. Ask yourself this question, If you have to use the PTX for lead bullets to expand the the case enough to get a jacketed bullet in the case, dont you think there is a design flaw with the PTX for jacketed bullets?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Since I have been using the PTXs since day one without a problem, I lean more towards someone trying to sell powderfunnel.com or someong who has not read the manual or called Hornady. I mean, they worked for me since day 1 and i have ofter been told that I flare/bell the case too much. I really have to scratch my head how anyone can have a problem with something so simple.
If you are using the powder funnel thing, ALL you are doing is belling the case mouth. Your cases will be too small and the bullet will push against the thinner wall of the case giving a case bulge.
Again, if you get the measure to cycle, all you need to do is turn the measure down 1/2 turn more.
Hornady and Lee PTE are quite similar. There is a distance that expands the case and then, right at the very end, the expander gets just a little larger and bells the case mouth.
I can not believe that someone though to put the bullet on the case as it comes out of the powder-through expander and thought it would take a ride over to the bullet seating die.
Finally, if you can't figure out to operate the PTXs, use the Hornady Expander Die in station 2 before the powder measure in station 3 and look into the case at station 4 to see the powder height in the case before you put a bullet on the case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.