1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've been using Militec-1 for well over a decade. Nothing new on the market has dissuaded me. The stuff just plain works great!

I also have Brownell's Action Lube for use when fitting a slide to a frame and Militec Grease for the odd situation where it is the best choice.

KG Products for a variety of needs ranging from moly coating to degreasing. Shooter's Choice is my bore cleaner :)

And just for grins given the teasing that has gone on in this thread: I prefer Lubrication Engineers synthetic automotive oils (e.g. LE 8130 Monolec 10W30) although for high mileage engines I turn to Valvoline MaxLife. If pressed to go non-synthetic it'd be Havoline or Motorcraft GF4 spec 5W30 dino oil :) A tribologist acquaintance recommended these to me.

·
1911auto Forum Supporter
73 Posts
Anything new to report from the land of lube? Reviewing the thread it looks like there's no clear consensus, but folks seem to have some definite opinions. :) Anyone have any experience with Eezox? http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html
What about a combination of Weapon Shield and TW25B? Anybody have any thoughts?
Thanks!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have heard good stuff about Eezox but have never tried it.

I use WeaponShield CLP and like it, they also have a grease that I hear is really good.

Another one I have been trying is Slipstream. I am not real sold on the consistency of their lube (grease) but the oil is really cool stuff. I have been having some issues with my Kimber 22 conversion kit and so I put some Slipstream oil on it. I ran 10 mags through it today without a single hiccup.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am an Eezox guy. It works really well. I think it does anyway :biggrin:

I've used it on everything from 1911's to Glocks to revolvers, shotguns, and rifles. I've never had a gun rust, with Eezox on it. I like Rem oil too. It is a little thinner than the Eezox, but still a good all around lube, cleaner etc.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've been using EEZOX for about a year now. I put a light coat of it on my guns before storage and it protects them with a light protective coat indefinitely. I first saw the owner of the local gun store using it to protect the firearms in his display cases, read the reviews on it, and started using it. I don't use it for lubrication...I use Weapon Shield or Breakfree CLP for that, but for a protective coating on the exterior, EEZOX works great.

·
1911auto Forum Supporter
73 Posts
Thanks. I'm trying a Weaponshield/TW25B combo with an EEZOX wipedown of the exterior. So far, so good. I'll keep you posted. Hadn't heard of Slipstream before. I keep some Mobil 1 30w hanging around for all sorts of things...hadn't thought about 50w though. That's a good idea.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I tried Strike-Hold last summer because we had a match in a light, on-off drizzle of a rain. I was so surprised by how well the 1911 functioned that I've switched!

I still have a good supply of Slide Glide and Break Free CLP, but Strike Hold is my new 'go to' lube.:biggrin:
Regards,
TJ

·
Registered
42 Posts
I started using Gunk Liquid Wrench Dry Lubricant a bit over a year ago and it seems to work quite well. Sprayed on, it dries completely in just a few minutes leaving a very slick and persistent surface coating of PTFE. I say surface but it does seem to get into the steel and stay there. No other lubrication seems to be necessary although I do wipe the guns off periodically with a towel moistened with Breakfree CLP, Militec-1, or synthetic motor oil to remove lint or fouling after shooting. As for lint, that was the reason I first tried this as I tired of lint buildup on my carry guns.

Not only does it not attract lint the way even a light coat of more traditional lubes does but it also seems to protect against rust MUCH longer than other, more traditional lubes. I've got a few guns that would begin rusting after carrying concealed if not oiled daily; after using this Dry Lubricant on it a year ago, my Taurus PT140 finally started showing a tiny bit of red discoloration on the mag release button. My Steyr S9, another one that had been prone to rust on that mag button, hasn't shown a hint of rust even though it's been well over a year. Both of these guns were carried often and about equally in IWB holsters during this past summer and fall. Before using the Dry Lubricant I could have counted on them rusting within a week of being cleaned and oiled with the usual lotions.

The stuff sells at my local O'Reilly's Auto Parts for $4.99 / 11oz. aerosol can and about the same amount at the local Great WallMart's automotive department.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use Extreme Weapons Grease mixed with mobil 1. lasts for over 500 rounds and still in place. As my experience as Tool & Die Maker for over 40 years you can never over lub a gun. If it slides use grease, if it pivots use oil.

·
Resident Septuagenarian
178 Posts
I am of the opinion that as long as the weapon is wet/coated with just about anything, all is well. Definitely do not run dry......

·
Registered
1 Posts
guys dont know y no one has stated they have used it yet, FROG LUBE!!!lubes cleans protects !!! I have made the switch ,guns clean up faster ,hardly any fouling, rust protection just great!!! to top it off all my actions have got silky smooth, best stuff i have ever used period!its similar to miltec ,and i have used miltec, frog lubes Superior

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
guys dont know y no one has stated they have used it yet, FROG LUBE!!!lubes cleans protects !!! I have made the switch ,guns clean up faster ,hardly any fouling, rust protection just great!!! to top it off all my actions have got silky smooth, best stuff i have ever used period!its similar to miltec ,and i have used miltec, frog lubes Superior
Yup, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'll second the frog lube. I use the frog lube paste. It works well, is non toxic, and doesn't stink.

The local distributor here durring his demo will eat it, and I makes for. A good Chapstick substitute in a pinch.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
I'll second the frog lube. I use the frog lube paste. It works well, is non toxic, and doesn't stink.

The local distributor here durring his demo will eat it, and I makes for. A good Chapstick substitute in a pinch.
Is there a website for Frog Lube?

81 - 100 of 127 Posts