1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
The only way to get low recoil is to either reduce the bullet's mass or the bullet's velocity, or to increase the gun's mass.

Recoil is a reaction against the breechblock to the force delivered to the bullet. Force forward equals force backward. Whatever force is imposed on the bullet is imposed in the opposite direction.

However...Recoil in an autopistol doesn't come in the same way as it does in a fixed-breech gun like a revolver or bolt-action rifle. It comes by way of the slide compressing the recoil spring...and in the spring's equal/opposite effect. Of course, the faster the spring is compressed, the more sharply it pushes against the frame...but the recoil spring's resistance is the big factor to consider.

The stronger the spring, the more resistance it offers to the slide...and hence the more force it returns to the frame as the slide compresses it. You actually get only a very small percetage of the actual recoil impulse as the round fires...through the spring's preload and its resistance to acceleration, but because the slide moves on rails...you only start to feel the gun "kick" as the spring nears half of its compressed length, when it starts to offer heavier resistance.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
As a Factory Ammo no .. Winchester white box is about the lowest .. other than that you must hand load.. you can make many easy recoiling loads that way

·
Registered
10 Posts
As a Factory Ammo no ..
If I'm not mistaken...and I could be since I've never shot it...but I think one of the ammo makers offers a 185-grain jacketed SWC loaded to about 800 fps. Should produce about 15% less recoil than standard hardball. Maybe Federal? I dunno.

It's a short-nosed bullet, so reliable feeding may be an issue in some guns.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
They might still make a load like that but i haven't seen one in years and as you said a short nosed bullet it didn't work very well anyways as OAL was way short

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I believe Federal's Lawman Ammo is less recoil ammo.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Magtech publishes it's 230gr FMJ 45acp @ 830fps. That's the lowest I know of.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts