1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am still getting loose grips on my Rem Commander Carry even after shooting 1 box of 50 shells. Manager of the range suggested putting clear nail polish on the screws to prevent them from coming loose. But in other postings I have found where members might suggest rubber O rings. Which is better?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I purchased the O rings today and I installed them tonight. Will try it out this next week and let you know if it works correctly. Maybe I will try it Friday

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The O rings worked after shooting 2 boxes of 50. I did not feel the grips loose after firing. Hopefully they will keep a firm grip.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Good idea. I will have to pick up some.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hadn't thought of using rubber O rings, but makes a lot of sense to me.

However, if the o rings don't work for as expected - have also seen posts on other forums about using a drop of either red or blue loctite (not sure which, but use the one less strong or you'll reportedly never get the screw to break again). Either way, several other forum members spoke up in favor of this technique. Haven't had the problem yet, but was glad to have a potential solution in hand should the problem ever arise. Now I have two solutions I can prepare to use.

·
Super Moderator
610 Posts
Hadn't thought of using rubber O rings, but makes a lot of sense to me.

However, if the o rings don't work for as expected - have also seen posts on other forums about using a drop of either red or blue loctite (not sure which, but use the one less strong or you'll reportedly never get the screw to break again). Either way, several other forum members spoke up in favor of this technique. Haven't had the problem yet, but was glad to have a potential solution in hand should the problem ever arise. Now I have two solutions I can prepare to use.
The Purple is Low strength, Blue is Medium strength, the Red is High strength and Green is Forget about it not coming loose ever again strength when comparing Loctite.
The number 242 Blue is for consumer use but I would look for 243 Blue it is the industrial version and it is oil tolerant.

And yes in the trucking industry we buy this stuff by the case.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Purple is Low strength, Blue is Medium strength, the Red is High strength and Green is Forget about it not coming loose ever again strength when comparing Loctite.
The number 242 Blue is for consumer use but I would look for 243 Blue it is the industrial version and it is oil tolerant.

And yes in the trucking industry we buy this stuff by the case.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks ST. This info is usable across a large spectrum of needs. Very much appreciate it, we only have the red and blue at the local Lowes store I frequent. Will look for the Purple and Green also, there are some things around the house I could use the Green on, like maybe my wife's credit cards - LOL :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thanks ST. This info is usable across a large spectrum of needs. Very much appreciate it, we only have the red and blue at the local Lowes store I frequent. Will look for the Purple and Green also, there are some things around the house I could use the Green on, like maybe my wife's credit cards - LOL :)
That's a good one...gave me a much needed laugh!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Warbird. Glad to have added a little levity to someone's day. Goodness knows we have enough scary/sad/confusing stuff in our lives these days. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts