1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been playing with the demo for 2 days...mostly to refresh my mind on mil-dot math...its a fun lil game though...thought I'd share it.
Long range Shooting Simulation

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Tried it. Did lousy like I expected. I'm not a long rifle guy and have never shot/used a scope. Was a lot of fun though. Thanks, Ridge. Tracy

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Great game, I like it, Mirando

·
Registered
3 Posts
Man, now this is some good practice! I wish they'd include some different reticles to play with, like Leupold's TMR, and IOR's MP8. Eventually, they'll come up with a 3D version of it, with more realisic graphics... either way, this is a great tool to keep in shape with! Thanx!

·
Registered
747 Posts
That was fun, but I had no idea what I was doing, as I have never used a mil-dot and have no sort of long range training. On the last one, I couldn't even get my bullet strikes in my field of view.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I won't go into detail, but the purpose of the mil-dot reticle is to estimate range. If you're looking at a target, and you know the size of it (i.e. - a rectangular paper target, 15" W x 12" H), you can use those dots to find out how far away it is... for instance, if the top of the target, 15", fills up 2 spaces, then that's 2 mils. The equation for finding distance in yards is:
Size of the target (inches) X 27.778 = B
Now take "B" and divide it by your mil-reading, and viola', that's your range in yards.
Then, you need to know the trajectory data for your specific rifle, for instance, if you're using a 200yd. zero, you need the data for your caliber and barrel length. So, you got the data, you know you're (example) 7mm Rem Mag is going to drop 19" @ 400 yds, and your target is 400 yds. Adjust the scope accordingly. It's that simple.
Judging wind, or "doping" wind, is the hardest part about long range shooting, and cannot be simulated - as there may be no wind at all at your bench, but be a 15mph crosswind 500 yards downrange... if there's no wind flags where you're shooting, it just takes a ton of practice :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.