1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Currently using about a dozen Dillon 550 presses , half-dozen or so 650 presses, a 1050, and a few other presses. Too lazy to change powder charge or bullet seating adjustments.

Every round fired from the bench during load development and testing is measured on seven different chronographs simultaneously in order to reduce measurement error. Loads are tested in several different media for best overall performance without putting much confidence in any of them.

Have found that the 45 Super with full powered loads typically works OK.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
WOW, if you ever get tired of any of the 550's I wll send you my address so I can take it off your hands.

Actually, there were a few years I gave friends new complete 550 setups for Christmas presents.

One year think I gave maybe six friends complete setups suitable for half-dozen cartridges each. While they were active shooters and reloaders, they didn't use them all that much. None produced over 10,000 rounds annually.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't you have a range out back?

The horizon is a surveyed mile away. There are targets stands and steel reactionary targets from ten yards all the way out to a mile on the mountains, ridges, and canyon walls. Targets of many different shapes, sizes, and mechanics.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Got any recent pictures-- I saw these years ago-- I'd like to see what it looks like now.

Recent pictures wouldn't look much different. A few more 650 presses. A few more targets. More high speed case prep equipment.

Seasonal outdoor pictures showing green pastures, snow, and autumn leaves would show more differences than year to year differences.

Do you use those for your personal use or do you sell your loads?

No commercial loading. None.

Just my personal hobby and enjoyment.

Experiment a little. Most of my tests involve changing 30+ variables at a time in a load and then testing them in many different rifles simultaneously. What works in a single barrel is not as interesting as trying the same list of variables in 20+ barrels for the same cartridge and seeing the general effect. Thankfully, people like Shilen, Pac-Nor, and others like to make barrels.

Been swaging jacketed bullets and casting lead bullets for 30+ years.

Think I currently load for over 135 rifle cartridges and over 50 handgun cartridges. Range from 14-221 Walker to 585 Nyati in rifle and up to 500 Linebaugh in handgun.

Most important aspect of handgun ammunition is how it affects the twirling of a first-generation Colt SAA. Round noses and Keiths are different, you know.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
And I would like to hear the story about them 2 Buffs you have on the wall too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Those two cape buffalo were taken with a 500 Nitro Express 3 1/4 using 570 grain Woodleighs at about 2,150 fps.

In Botswana's Okavango Delta, we pushed a group of five bulls for over half a day from one island to the next mixing low bent-over tracking and crawling on our bellies. We were completely exhausted when the best one finally offered a shot. He was taken with a single well-placed solid from a distance of 40 yards which gave complete penetration taking out the heart. The buffalo group ran 80 yards, turned, and all five bulls faced me and the PH from a distance of about 50 yards. After what seemed like forever but was probably under one full minute, the center bull dropped and the other four bulls ran off. A great completion to several days of hunting.

The other bull on the wall was taken one year later with the same rifle and ammo from the same box. However, the hunt was as different as could be.

This bull absorbed ten rounds in vital areas which could have been covered with the palm of your hand. There were solids from the same box as the previous year and some softs too on my belt. The first solid started a several mile chase. The bull would stop, take a hit from a solid or a soft, then take off again. Thirty minutes later would get another shot which was later confirmed to be a good hit but which the bull was not impressed by. This was repeated several times across the day. Finally the bull stood his ground and took six quick hits from a mix of solids and softs. All the solids gave complete penetration. The softs gave good penetration through the body organs without exiting the other side of the buffalo. The bull was hurt bad from the beginning but was not going to give up. As each round was fired we could see the bull's reaction to it. The bull never went down until the end. When the bull fell, there was no more ammo for the 500 Nitro. When the bull was opened up, could not see how it was possible for him to keep going so long. Couldn't see any part that should have been functioning at all. (No shots were made by the PH.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
With regards to 1911 pistols...

Attended four classes at Old Gunsite with Colonel Jeff Cooper.

Spent a month with Cooper in Africa on his Babamkulu Trek.

While have played with other handguns, my main carry pistol has been a full-size 1911 built as a GSP at Old Gunsite carried in a Milt Sparks Summer Special. Has an ambidextrous low-thumb-safety. Usually it is a 45 with 230 grainers loaded to 900+ fps, but have also carried a full-house 10mm Auto with 200-grainers at 1,200 fps. Sometimes carry a 1911 with a six-inch barrel. When the 1911 is not a GSP, it is a left-hand Randall tuned at Old Gunsite.

Have carried Commander and Officer size guns and lightweight guns, but have not found them better for my main carry purposes except as a backup gun.

Admit that a KelTec may be found in my pocket.

Also, admit to having carried wheelguns. A S&W Model 29 in a Milt Sparks PMK or HSR, a short-barreled Ruger single-action 44 in an El Paso Three Persons, and a 500 Linebaugh in a Milt Sparks HSR. Swear that was during hunting season.

Don't claim to have anything useful for anyone else. Sure your results and needs will vary.

Ready to learn.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
A little further north than Colorado...Looks like Wyoming to me, maybe southern Montana.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.