1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

While I was at a gunshop dropping off my Springer for a few mods, I was looking around and saw a Llama 1911 style pistol in .45 ACP. Does any one know anything about these guns? It was of a GI style (except for the external extractor) and the slide to frame fit was a little on the loose side. My initial impression was if it shot at all...it might make a half way decent "beater gun" to play around with and not worry too much if it got all beat up. And talk about a cheap price! Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these things? Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Pass on them

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the imput. I wasn`t really thinking about buying the darned thing, just satisfying curiosity.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just noticed this today. As others have stated, I would pass on the Llama .45. However, their baby 1911's are great little shooters. My girls shoot them in preparation for growing into a full size 1911. Have them in .22, .32, and .380. Great little pistols for training or plinking.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had a Llama Mini-Max, kind of like the Para Warthwag....

It was a waste, I would have paid someone to take it away.

Every possible problem you could think of occurred.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a Llama Mini-Max, kind of like the Para Warthwag....

It was a waste, I would have paid someone to take it away.

Every possible problem you could think of occurred.
There are only two firearms manufacturers that I rant about, and this is one of them. The other is one of the nations finest custom pistolsmiths. Believe it or not, I would buy a LLama before one of his.

First, bear in mind for every person dissatisfied, no doubt there is someone out there who has 1,298,388 rounds through a LLama and it will still group well.

Now, since you asked, I have never in 40 years of shooting, (several of those spent in youthful ignorance, buying SNSs and el cheapo pot metal shooters for little or nothing (and getting little or nothing) bought, found, or been given a sorrier non-shooting POS than a LLama. This particular pistol (a .45) was the most cheaply built, loosest, most unreliable, inaccurate gun I have ever fired or witnessed fired. The construction made a RG revolver look like a Colt Python. The accuracy of 10 rounds at 10 yards could only be duplicated with 00 buck at 50 yards. The finished could be scratched by a PICTURE of a diamond. Customer service was obliviously ignorant about weapons when they responded, but, they thankfully spared the customer that indignity by ignoring all calls and letters.

I simply cannot imagine any carry weapon choice as poor as a LLama.

The only possible justification for carrying one, and it is a huge stretch, is that if someone takes your pistol during a fight, they possess only a blunt instrument. There is little danger of being shot.

If you take every bad, undesirable trait that can be manufactured into a gun, LLama will possess them all. To the worst possible degree.

I have heard that one factory where these "firearms" (in quotes because they rarely "fire" and you simply do NOT possess an "arm" when you purchase one) were manufactured had been burned (no doubt by an irate customer, who was probably STILL on hold with customer service when he returned home from the felonious deed) and subsequently sold, bulldozed, and constructed on the site was a sewage processing plant. It should be noted that THERE HAS BEEN NO CHANGE IN THE TYPE OF PRODUCTION OUTPUT (think about it....it will hit you). This could well be a perfect example of "divine justice" particularly if the engineers and QC employees of LLama are employed in the new business.

I suggest you look to much, much higher quality, more reliable weapons. Start with Jennings, Lorcin, RG revolvers, hell, even a zip gun manufactured by some gang-banger in East LA using a car radio antenna would be a step in the right direction.

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are only two firearms manufacturers that I rant about, and this is one of them. The other is one of the nations finest custom pistolsmiths. Believe it or not, I would buy a LLama before one of his.

First, bear in mind for every person dissatisfied, no doubt there is someone out there who has 1,298,388 rounds through a LLama and it will still group well.

Now, since you asked, I have never in 40 years of shooting, (several of those spent in youthful ignorance, buying SNSs and el cheapo pot metal shooters for little or nothing (and getting little or nothing) bought, found, or been given a sorrier non-shooting POS than a LLama. This particular pistol (a .45) was the most cheaply built, loosest, most unreliable, inaccurate gun I have ever fired or witnessed fired. The construction made a RG revolver look like a Colt Python. The accuracy of 10 rounds at 10 yards could only be duplicated with 00 buck at 50 yards. The finished could be scratched by a PICTURE of a diamond. Customer service was obliviously ignorant about weapons when they responded, but, they thankfully spared the customer that indignity by ignoring all calls and letters.

I simply cannot imagine any carry weapon choice as poor as a LLama.

The only possible justification for carrying one, and it is a huge stretch, is that if someone takes your pistol during a fight, they possess only a blunt instrument. There is little danger of being shot.

If you take every bad, undesirable trait that can be manufactured into a gun, LLama will possess them all. To the worst possible degree.

I have heard that one factory where these "firearms" (in quotes because they rarely "fire" and you simply do NOT possess an "arm" when you purchase one) were manufactured had been burned (no doubt by an irate customer, who was probably STILL on hold with customer service when he returned home from the felonious deed) and subsequently sold, bulldozed, and constructed on the site was a sewage processing plant. It should be noted that THERE HAS BEEN NO CHANGE IN THE TYPE OF PRODUCTION OUTPUT (think about it....it will hit you). This could well be a perfect example of "divine justice" particularly if the engineers and QC employees of LLama are employed in the new business.

I suggest you look to much, much higher quality, more reliable weapons. Start with Jennings, Lorcin, RG revolvers, hell, even a zip gun manufactured by some gang-banger in East LA using a car radio antenna would be a step in the right direction.
Please don`t hold back....tell us how you really feel:biggrin::biggrin:

In all seriousness, it was purely curiosity that led to my questions about the Llama. I guess I already knew what the answers would be, and I now have a 3 week old RIA in .38 Super. That`s how interested in the Llama I was.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Please don`t hold back....tell us how you really feel:biggrin::biggrin:

In all seriousness, it was purely curiosity that led to my questions about the Llama. I guess I already knew what the answers would be, and I now have a 3 week old RIA in .38 Super. That`s how interested in the Llama I was.
Excellent choice sir. You will be well pleased and served by your RIA. I know the .38 Super to be a superb little shooter!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts