1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
It seems like there is a lot of debate over this type of thing. I seem to recall that a student was suspended for wearing a t-shirt that had a silhouette of a pistol, and said something about "home land security". I don't recall where it was maybe someone has a link...
The trouble as I see it is that Americans are becoming more and more polarized, it all seems to be coming down to us vs. them. Not to suggest in any way that I support this agenda. I got in trouble more than once in school for having questioned the schools authority to tell me what was what. How to dress, where I could or couldn't stow my skateboard, what symbols and language I could use in my art projects and so on. But then when I was in school, the police were not called for every fist fight. nor for bringing a knife to school (I personally have carried a pocket knife darn near every day of my life, since my gran-pappy gave me my first blade in kindergarten, got caught with it more than once too).
This mentality that we have to protect our children from everything is seriously damaging.
"No, no little Johnny, we mustn't offend anyone."
It used to be that we looked forward to the Halloween costume parties, and Thanksgiving/Christmas vacation. My kids live in WA. with their mom (long story), and their school does none of those for fear that they cannot celebrate every faiths holiday(s), except for what they now call "winter vacation".
I dunn'o, it sure seems to be getting WeIrD out there.....

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think that the shirt was inappropriate for a 5th grade class room personally. I am the father of a 5th grader and would not want that in my daughters class.

I am a conservative Republican however I don't think that is the way to teach a 5th grader politics or the elections in general. The problem with our process is that it has come to this type of dialog in a 5th grade class room.

You can always present facts and opinions in a manner that is not attacking. There is nothing to be gained by this kind of garbage and using a child to do it is not the right thing to do..... Just my 2 cents.

·
Spell-Check at the ready!
141 Posts
I'm a fourth grade teacher and although I would laugh if I read that shirt-- I don't think it's appropriate either-- although I would have just had the kid turn his shirt inside-out to avoid the drama.

I know the 1st is just as important as the second, but I've got better things to do than to deal with political statements on T-shirts. I don't even have time (my hands are tied via "No Child Left Behind-- ie "No Child Gets Ahead-- if none are left behind") to cover Science and Social Studies, much less explain what that political statement means.

Suspending a kid is a little overboard--- I'm betting this kid wasn't a model student to begin with and this is probably not his first time in the principal's office.

Last year I had a kid wearing a Che Guevara-- shirt I had the kid turn it inside out and explained to the father after school that it was a distraction to the learning environment. Anything that distracts in a learning environment is subject to moderation-- be it toys, clothing attire, or attitude.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Yes sir & I tell folks this all the time.
I am a BIG fan of home schools. Teachers Unions are some of the most liberal of all unions. More peaceful than some but care not for the truth of 1775 & Red White & Blue that followed.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Don't get me started on schools... I think its the schools that are getting too big for their britches...not the kids.

Bathroom passes, dress codes and too many teachers who think they know whats best for MY kids are just a few examples.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
People ask me all the time why I Home School, they say that they understand the kids can get the education, but the socialization will suffer. I say not. Its the socialization that I don't want. My kids get plenty of socialization at church and out and about. Its the crap they learn from other kids that some nutball taught them, that I don't want.

My Mother is a middle school math/science teacher, my Mother in Law is a retired High School English teacher, my Aunt is a retired grade school teacher, my wife went to college to be a grade school teacher, and I teach Fire/Rescue/EMS classes, so between the bunch, I think we can handle it, and my mother, mother in law, and aunt all agree on the homeschooling, they know what the schools have turned into.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
The child wore a red,white and blue shirt as he was told to. The teacher should be suspended. It is a clear violation of his right to free speech. The truth should be tought is schools. I hope they stick to thier guns and let this run it's course, Mirando

·
Registered
82 Posts
The child wore a red,white and blue shirt as he was told to. The teacher should be suspended. It is a clear violation of his right to free speech. The truth should be tought is schools. I hope they stick to thier guns and let this run it's course, Mirando

Let's stop for a second and think about this..... Do we really believe that 9 or 10 year old CHILDREN should be wearing their parents views on their shirts? Because you can do something does that make it the RIGHT thing to do? The 1A does not apply in this situation for the record.( if it was on the sidewalk in front of school different story) Children in my opinion should be protected from this stuff. The innocence of youth is already being lost at a alarming rate. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't usually reply to this kind of thing as it has a certain "spark" with some but I will have to agree that this isn't necessarily something a child should be doing in a school. This can cause a huge distraction in class and no learning is taking place when a big distraction is present.

My son came home yesterday and was telling me that they were asked by their teacher in class who they would vote for and then to defend their reasoning (my son is 13/8th grade). He stated that although the teacher wouldn't tell them who she was voting for, it was apparent that she supported Obama by the way she verbally attacked the kids reasoning in support of McCain and praised the kids reasoning in support of Obama. Now, here is the kicker to all of this: this was ENGLISH class. I personally see absolutely no reason to talk politics in any way, shape, or form in an English class no matter how old the students are.

Maybe some of you think different but this is my two cents worth anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
The kid did nothing wrong...

That's what Patriotism is all about...sometimes you have to "go against the grain".

·
Registered
6 Posts
A distraction....newest buzzword for I don't like what the message is but since I can't outright ban it I'll find another reason. Wore all kinds of crazy nonsense in the wild 60's. distraction? Thats what the teachers are there for, gain your attention and direct it to learning. Don't remember spending alot of time worrying about what little Jimmy wore, But, was always interested in what Sally wore.....get the drift....Since most 5th graders are more worried about whats cool and whats not.....if they had issues with messages the school should have made that quite clear in the wear a red, white and blue.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.