1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven't heard much about this model "SRP". I'm considering buying one. Any negatives or positives with this one? I've heard they are really tight. Does this affect them as they get dirty from firing?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
They are the top of the line In Baer's Self defensive pistols 2.5 inch at 50 yards tested with golden saber and hydrashoc .. they are tight but as with any baer I have 5 it doesnt effect them .. Maybe ping will be along as he has one i think Frank might too

·
Unemployed
218 Posts
My SRP has been an excellent gun -- reliable and accurate.

Yes, Les Baer makes a tight gun, but I have several; and they've all been absolutely reliable. Personally, I think it's a myth that tight guns like a Les Baer are necessarily finicky or need special care or don’t work if they’re dirty. Some time ago, I decided to go out to the range with the second Les Baer I bought, a Concept IV.

I bought the gun about 8 or 9 years ago, a year or so after I bought my first, a Premier II. I used the gun on occasion for IPSC – to give the PII some rest. Then when I went to Gunsite about five years ago, I decided to use the CIV. (For IPSC, I had it set up with an S&A magazine well, an extended magazine release and a tungsten guide rod. Before going to Gunsite, I restored it to its original configuration, and trained with it that way for a while to prepare.) All in all, I’d estimate that it’s had about 12,000 to 15,000 rounds through it. (No, I don’t keep detailed records.)

And now back to our story.

So about six weeks previously, I decided to take the CIV to the range. Shot about 200 rounds and came home – put it in the safe. (And no, I’m not always diligent about cleaning my guns.) Then about ten days later, I had time to go to the range for some pistol shooting and took the CIV – since it was already dirty. I ran a bore snake down its gullet a few time, stripped it, wiped what I could reach easily, and put a few drops of Gun Butter here and there. Shot another 200 rounds – came home and put it in the safe. I took myself to the range again a few days later; and yup – took the CIV out again – and yes, it was still dirty. That trip I didn’t even do a once over – just shot another 200 rounds and back to the safe it went.

A little later, a last minute change in plans left me with some time on my hands – so off to the range. I grabbed the CIV – no time to clean it – packed up and off to the range again with a very dirty gun. Now I put another 250 rounds through it – quick 2 and three round strings heating the gun up nicely.

So I’ve fired some 850 rounds with this tight Les Baer that has only has a casual cleaning after the first 200. Guess how many malfunctions I had with this filthy Les Baer. The answer of course is zero, zip, nada, gar keine, rien, etc. The dirty Baer ran absolutely flawlessly, and displayed its customary, first rate accuracy as well.

So as far as I'm concerned, based on my experience, anyone who wants to tell me that Les Baers are too tight and can’t be relied upon unless they’re pampered, freshly cleaned and oiled, will be ignored. I suspect that it's true that some tight guns will be prone to hiccups. But it's not just a question of how tight the gun is. It's a question of how it's put together and fitted. If it's fitted properly it can be tight, extremely accurate, utterly reliable and not finicky.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well then, you don't need my .02. My SRP is my EDC gun. The current generation Bear Coat seems to be holding up well, even after having been carried in a couple of kydex holsters. The Bear Coat makes for a very slick draw stroke, is impervious to rust and makes the gun rack like butter, right out of the box.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the pics, they look good!

·
Registered
747 Posts
The SRP comes standard with a 2.5" at 50 yard guarentee where as the TRS is 3". The SRP comes with standard sized grips instead of thin like the TRS. The SRP comes with a Magwell I think, and the finish. I think that those are the differences. Of course, either can be had with the 1.5" at 50 yard option (at least I think the SRP can). Anyone feel free to add anything that I missed.

BTW, not to state the obvious, but the markings on the slides are different:wink:

·
Registered
17 Posts
:flag: :dancingbananna:

My TRS is great, but the additional features of the SRP seem worth the addtional cost.

·
Unemployed
218 Posts
I also think that the SRP would be my first choice for an "all around" Les Baer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The SRP comes standard with a 2.5" at 50 yard guarentee where as the TRS is 3". The SRP comes with standard sized grips instead of thin like the TRS. The SRP comes with a Magwell I think, and the finish. I think that those are the differences. Of course, either can be had with the 1.5" at 50 yard option (at least I think the SRP can). Anyone feel free to add anything that I missed.

BTW, not to state the obvious, but the markings on the slides are different:wink:
I did considerable research before buying an SRP. Mine is a .45. of course, 1.5" option, Baercoat, no magwell and is the sweetest shooting gun I have ever owned. I am not a particularly good pistol shot but this sucker makes me look like I am! At an indoor range, near my work, I was shooting 3" groups with Federal Ball 230 ammo with regularity - 11 yards and 4" groups at 20 yards. This without ever overcoming anticipation pistol jerks!

So far, with the exception of the rather weak Baer mags hanging up the last round, this gun has performed flawlessly through 800 rounds (I replaced the Baer mags with Wilson combats - problem solved!)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just picked-up a Hillsdale SRP from GB for a song. This was the pistol LB sold the FBI HRT.

Reactions: Super Trucker

·
Registered
29 Posts
The top one is the SRP; the bottom one is a TDP, both Hillsdales:

Attachments

Reactions: Super Trucker

·
Registered
29 Posts
Srp trs

Does the SRP differ from the TRS in anything other than Bearcoat?
Those made during the Hillsdale era when they were bidding on the FBI HRT contract were Magnefluxed. The extractor and barrel bushing are also serial numbered.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts