1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, yesterday was a little nippy here in NW Arkansas. My shooting buddy picked me up for a range trip about 9:00am - it was still 12 degrees F. We make a side trip to the store for him to pick up a new shotgun, then get to the range about 10:00 - it's UP to 16.

My face and feet were numb, but the Kimber fed another 7 mags of LSWC reloads flawlessly (as usual). It was cold enough that the brass was already cold by the time I picked it up.

Another great day at the range.

--jcd

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Last year, about this time, some friends and I went up to Ely, MN to a walk in cabin. Daytime temp. -20F. Guns tested and worked flawlessly. DW CBOB 10mm, DW 744 VH .44 6", DPMS Sweet 16 AR-15, and SA TRP, Glock 30, and SW .44mag 4" What fun.

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
Do you change your gun lube when it's so cold? I heard it's best to use oil instead of grease on some points within the gun when it's below freezing.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
I have always used CLP or FP-10 anyway. I just got some Slide Glide and will not use it at those temps.:nonono:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use Break Free CLP all over and a light smear of Gunslick on the rails.

Snagglepuss - is that a pistol or a flame-thrower? :)

--jcd

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Just a humble AR:wavey:

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Nice,but that's way too cold for me. I'll shoot in the 20's if there's no wind,but that's as low as I go!

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
John, you have a Kimber, I'm not sure what to think. :thinking:
Hey Snagglepuss, I love that picture, maybe mine will come in and I will be able to get a picture like that.....:hairpull:

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
The pic is a frame from a camera video. I acutally have a few where you can see the bullet leaving the barrel.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So - what's chin-scratch worthy about me having a Kimber? :) It was a gift from Dad... he don't buy bottom of the line like I do. The Stainless Gold Match is a sweet target pistol.

AutoMag - next weekend should be the moment o' truth for the grips. Just need to find the right size forsner bit this week. I have narrowed the case choice down to Federal in nickel or Winchester in brass. Leaning toward the Federal.

--jcd

1 - 13 of 13 Posts