Kimber makes a good 1911? | 1911 Forums at 1911Talk.com

Kimber makes a good 1911?

Discussion in 'Kimber Mfg.' started by 762, Apr 23, 2015.

1. 762

762 New Member

I like the looks of the Kimber 1911 (s). I see a lot of negative things written about the mfg though. Should I look elsewhere with a more traditional 1911?

2. Super Trucker

Super Trucker
    Staff Member Forum Supporter

Should you look elsewhere,
    Yes.

3. cedarhill

cedarhill New Member

I picked up a 9 mm Pro Carry II -4 3/4" barrel, used and it works like a dream. I didn't know how many times it had been fired so I called Kimber to inquire about a new recoil spring and after they asked me what the serial # was, they sent me two springs, FREE. I have purchased 3 addtional magazines for it, not Kimber mags and it doesn't miss a beat. The sights are big and bright and I can keep the shots in 5" stick on target at 7 -10 yards. It feels so good in my hands and compares to a BHP that I have on an even basis. I don't have an experience with a new one yet in 45 caliber but I can see some beautiful ones at the gun shows that come to town.
    I have heard that it takes sometimes 200 + shots to get broken in but they are great for the price.

warbird1 likes this.
  4. jakebrake

jakebrake New Member

if you read various forums, you'll see kimber sucks.

as do, colt, springfield, armscor, sig, s&w, dan Wesson, and just about every other 1911 brand.

I own and love a raptor II.

I pick up my 10mm eclipse next week.

is my raptor as accurate and reliable as my trp? well, yeah. it is.

ltcfb118 and warbird1 like this.
  5. zellworks

zellworks New Member

Whatever anybody owns is the best 1911 made. As you can read by the Colt owner; I own three Kimbers. My best friend, who owns Colts, highly recommends Kimber. Buy a good 1911 and you will love it. I have experience with Kimber, Colt, Springfield and Ruger: they all are great 1911's and they will all out shoot 99% of the shooters.

AlwaysConcealed likes this.
  6. majdad93

majdad93 New Member

I'm an old Colt guy myself, but I took a stab at a new Remington R1 Commander this past December. About 1000 rounds thru it so far and I have nothing but praise for this pistol. I've never owned a Kimber so I'm not qualified to comment. For me, the proof of the pudding is in personal experience. JM2CW.

7. Roger

Roger New Member

I have two springfield 1911's and two kimber 1911's and no complaints on any of them. Several thousand rounds thru each. Springfield was awesome on repair when one of the pistols extractor broke. Haven't had to repair the kimbers or the other springer.

8. lshooter

lshooter New Member

We own three 1911's. Two are Kimbers, a Super Carry Pro and an Ultra Raptor stainless. Over 1500 rounds through each one. Not one issue.

9. cigarman454

cigarman454 Member

I had a custom shop raptor and it was a great gun.

10. dakota1911

dakota1911 Member

I own many different 1911s. I think Kimbers were overpriced for what you got for a long time and that was logical as they had full page color adds in almost every gun magazine in print and often the entire back cover. Then they did the external extractor which did not work out in many of their models. I still have one left which is a Grand Raptor I bought back in 2005 for about $1.2K. Pretty pistol and I keep it as the only example of the Kimber external extractor I have left. I have had no problems with it, but it is a 5 inch target pistol.

Good news is that prices seem better on them now. I think they would help themselves further if they dropped the mechanical firing pin safety based off the old Colt Swartz system and went with a Titanium firing pin for drop protection. Sort of what S&W did with their E-Series or Colt is doing with their new models where they no longer use the Series 80 mechanical firing pin safety. Maybe Kimber could call it the Series III or something. I doubt if I would ever buy another Series II, but keep my eyes open for used pre Series II in good shape for a good price.

11. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

I have a Custom Target II purchased in 2007 that has no issues. Accurate and fully functional. The only issue I had when new was the crappy magazine that was supplied with the pistol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are a lot of complaints posted on quite a few boards, mostly with compact models. All I can say is I am completely satisfied with mine.

12. Dr.Lou

Dr.Lou New Member

image.jpeg I have had several Kimbers and still have a two-tone custom and a GT10. I have never had a single malfunction and they've all been well made.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  13. AlwaysConcealed

AlwaysConcealed New Member

I've owned two Kimbers, one of which I was foolish enough to sell. Still have and carry my Pro CDP II. I've never had a single issue or complaint with either of the two. As far as my experience goes, Kimbers are as solid a 1911 as any other. I did upgrade the magazines with both, but I think most folks upgrade to WC or McCormick anyway.

14. dakota1911

dakota1911 Member

For an update I did pick up a pre Series II Stainless Gold Match from a friend last fall. Kimber says it was made in 2001 and it is under my 2005 Grand Raptor I bought new that year.

[​IMG]

The Stainless Gold Match I bought from a friend and got to field strip it and put about 200 rounds through it before I bought it from him. He was not the first owner and there have been changes to the pistol as no ambi safety and the front sight has been changed. Also the mag well. Maybe other changes. My friend was not the first or even second owner of this guy.

On the 2005 Grand Raptor the plastic MSH developed a crack. Odd as I have Colts dating back to the 1980s with Colts Nylon composite MSH that are still fine. Anyway I ended up replacing the MSH with one from Wilson in steel which did take some fitting but looks close to the original.

15. Oklahomabound

Oklahomabound New Member

I have a Kimber Pro CDP II, have 1000 or more rounds thru it with no issues...

16. MaceWindu57

MaceWindu57 New Member

Kimber makes a fine 1911, I have a Pro Carry Stainless, not the Series ll, which I have had no issues with.
    Many people bash Kimber, just as someone will have negative opinions about every 1911 manufacturer, which is what you mostly see on these forums.

17. Oldgrey1911

Oldgrey1911 New Member

Jakebrake, you will love the Eclipse Custom II 10mm. Very accurate right out of the box, it's a great performing 10mm with about the same kick as a 45ACP.

18. Rick_n_wv

Rick_n_wv New Member

I have a couple Ultra's, couple of Pro's and Customs. I brought my first Kimber used over 12 years ago an Ultra SS Carry. I have had one FTF with it not long after I got it. I was using some defense type ammo that had a somewhat narrow nose. Other than that no burp,belches or hickups.