1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
First off hello to all,

I bought a Kimber Tactical Ultra II over 3 yrs ago and I have not had a single issue with it. It has no preference over JHP or FMJ will feed/shoot it all. I couldn't have asked for a better CCW, great carry weight, size, accurate, dependable, etc. While I don't use it for competition or shoot 1000's of rounds monthly with it, I do use it as my off duty gun and practice with it regularly along with qualifying with it quarterly (includes, firing from 25 yrd line down to 3 yrd line weak and strong hand, from behind, over, under barricades, moving etc.) it literally has never failed me. Can't say or ask for more than that.

In no way do I discredit others bad experiences nor their opinions, I do feel that for as many guns Kimber sells if they were turning out bad (or a large percentage) products for, as some argue, a lot of years then the free market system would have taken care of it by now. So far they still seem to be selling well.

Take care all and Happy Hollidays :wavey:

·
Registered
1 Posts
kimber

I have four Kimbers that are reliable straight shooters and made in the USA by the way! I truly believe for certain shooters a 1911 of any brand is a poor choice, there are loads of posts on a handful of 1911 websites to bear this out. Every major maker of 1911's have their share of detractors.

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
I will agree that Kimber has sold a lot of guns with problems.

However, my two carry 1911's are a Grand Raptor II and CDP Pro (pre series II).

·
Registered
3 Posts
The early Kimbers were wonderful. Of course, there were no Ultras back then. The shorter the gun, the more problems we hear about. Very seldom do you hear of issues with a 5" 1911.
IMHO three inch barrels were not intended to be placed on a 1911 platform in 45 ACP for several reasons. One is reliability and another is bullet performance. However, the 9mm round has better potential with this platform.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, I am happy for all the people who love Kimber. However, when I order a gun the first thing they do is bring in an astrologer and a guy with a WeeGee board to check all the guns. When they find the crappyist guns, they then test fire them to see which is worst, then send it. That is not really a joke.

I wanted a 1911 for a Christmas present so looked at all the gun rags, and Kimber sounded good, so I ordered a Kimber Custom .45 ACP. Got it and it looked BEAUTIFUL! Pulled it out of the box, racked the slide, then tried the trigger. And tried, and tried, and tried. Used both hands, braced a foot against it and pulled until the hammer dropped. I had NOTHING that would measure the trigger pull. The extractor hook was not cut. The magazine was junk and refused to feed ANYTHING (it was a Kimber mag, so this is to be expected as business as usual), casting flaws on the rear sight, huge gash in the side of the hammer. Oh yes, as soon as the protective grease/oil/whatever was removed, it started to rust. As in right before your eyes. Literally. Not a joke.

I would love for someone to tell me how a gun with a, what? 75 lb trigger pull? no extractor hook and mags that wouldn't function at all passed test firing. Well, sure, a lot of companies WILL admit quietly they DO NOT test fire at the factory, it is cheaper to get the customer to do that, then send it back, "fix" it and send it back to the sucker (OOPS! meant to say "customer) then check them. More companies and not the ones you might think either! The head gunsmith for Detonics admitted, in print, that around half the guns were returned to the factory and most of those Detonics pistols were scrapped as "unrepairable" and replaced. Some big-name custom 1911s were obviously not test-fired at the factory either, unless they thought an unchambered barrel was OK!

I called Kimber, three months minimum, possibly longer for them to look at it, and possibly longer yet fix anything, but don't hold your breath for that. To say I was NOT happy is a gross understatement. Took the gun apart had literally (I am serious here) had to keep the slide in an oil bath or it would rust while I was working on it. The frame was bad, but nothing like the slide. The insides were a mass of burrs, machine marks, rough parts (I am tempted to say unpolished rough castings, but they only felt that way in the gun). Weighted the gun before and after, a couple of oz lighter. Well that was good anyway, less to carry.

Threw the extractor, magazine, and grips away (into a parts bin anyway) and gave it a trigger job. put the parts back in the gun. A MEASURED 36 lb 6 oz! That felt like at least half the starting weight. Not a joke. At least I could pull the trigger with one hand, usually. Pull the trigger, rack the slide, over and over and over. Work on the trigger, put it together, try it again. Pull trigger, rack slide, over and over. Work on trigger, try it. Finally got the trigger down to a decent weight, and the dropping hammer/racking slide did wonders for wearing the gun in and smoothng out the slide/frame fit. A few thousand times racking it will do that.

Finally got it working, feeding, tolerable trigger pull, decent grips (Pachmyers) and it now shoots OK. Talked to the custom smith at my club and he froths at the mouth when you mention Kimber. So do a lot of top smiths when you mention Kimber. They ALL hate Kimbers because they will have to gut the gun, polish it inside and out (remember all the casting flaws?), put in and fit all new parts, and it is a lot of unnecessary work that could have been avoided if the customer had just chosen a decent gun.

Yes, the slide looks like one of those "distressed" guns you see (that usually look like someone took scotch bright to them judging by the scratches) with blotches where the bluing came off due to handling, steelwooling the rust off, poor factory bluing job. The ONLY thing I found that would keep the rust down was EZZOX. Everything else would have a layer of rust under it the next morning, and I tried EVERYTHING. So no, I am not a fan of Kimber. Yes, they have been sold a few times, so possibly the QC has improoved. Don't know, don't care.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts