1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I had purchased a Kimber Ultra stainless, and had several feed/ejection problems. Using factory mags, and all types of ammo the problem remained the same. Upon contacting the Kimber customer service dept. I was told that I needed to fire at least 500 rnds through her before the problem would correct itself. Granted the customer rep. could have been not so bright, but I didn't pay that kind of money, to be told that respose. Needless to say I have traded up all my remaining Kimbers, less one I haven't moved yet. I shot my remaining Kimber CDP Pro on several occaisions, not experiencing the feed/ejection problems, but not very happy with the CDP's performance. I hope to move it in the near future, and fall back on my two best performing 1911's, Fusion Firearms, & Sigarms. I have some limited run 1911's in other brands which are more for collecting purposes, but are shooters as well. Is anyone else out there feel as I do, or am I the only lucky one out there???:confused::confused::confused:

Reactions: Jcbdc

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I have owned several Kimbers and have never had one single issue. I am surprised at your problems. Good luck, Mirando

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
Kimber Now and before

Over the last few years after Kimber got a good reputation , the quality of the guns have gone down. I own a Gold Combat11 and a Warrior and both are great pistols once I replaced all the MIM parts in them with Cylinder & Slide insides.Just like most companies, once they have a name they start to cut cost.
Vic

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
I too ahve owned several over the yrs. My CDP Pro is my most often carried gun. Never a problem w/ it but am not at all interested in trading it in on a "New & Improved" modle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Still can;t make my Tactical Pro II work. I have been told it is because of the external extractor and to send it back, but every time I call they tell me they will not replace the slide" if it works for us". Only problem is it has a mind of it's own. Sometimes it will even shoot my hand loads for 50 of more rounds and then refuses to work with even factory hardball. It sits in the safe. I will not sell it to some innocent person.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The early Kimbers were wonderful. Of course, there were no Ultras back then. The shorter the gun, the more problems we hear about. Very seldom do you hear of issues with a 5" 1911.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My TLE II, purchased last winter, had extractor problems. (it had the external one) I sent it in and they replaced the slide with one with an internal extractor. Three weeks turn around. Works fine now. :wink:

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Desert Warrior required a Wilson Slide stop and feed ramp polish, my Ultra CDP requires a firm wrist, my Pro CDP performs flawlessly. I'm just lucky.
I had a Springfield LW operator, it was a fine shooter, but I didn't like some of the visable workmanship. I sold it. Sometimes if its something you like, its worth "fixing", sometimes you are better off to cut your loss, and move on.
Its nice we have choices.:flag:

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
I always replace the Slide stop on Kimbers they are one of the MIM parts I feel need to be replaced on all Kimbers also the extractor I replaced both with Wilson's bullet proof ones.I have had them for years now and never a problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
MIM (metal injected mold) is not always a bad thing. Kimber has from its very beginnings used MIM to save cost and ASSURE consistency and quality control. Many on these and other forums like to throw out MIM as a short cut in quality. It can be. But others have used low cost foreign cast or forged parts, with inconsistant machine processes, that have resulted in lesser quality firearms. I'm confident that Kimber has a smaller PERCENTAGE of quality control problems than any of its production competitors. MIM is simply a function of engineering and design. Excecution determines success or failure. I would rather have a MIM piece, from Yonkers, than a forged in China, for sale in America piece. :flag:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Had a Custom SIS RL that was a lot of trouble out of the box. FTFs, FTEs, etc. It took 500+ rounds and two separate trips to the smith, new magazines, different ammo, new recoil spring, etc. before it started working properly...then I traded it due to frustration with it.

My buddy's TLEII was trouble even after we sent it to Kimber. When he got it back from Yonkers we took it to the range and it jammed on the first magazine. He traded off that gun as well as a CDP II with regular FTF issues.

On the other hand, my Dad has an Aeigs II that has been great. I think part of it is that Kimber sells more 1911s than a lot of other companies so the chance of there being more bad ones out there goes up just as a function of the volume of guns out there. Having said that, I don't trust the current quality enough to pull the trigger on another Kimber with the other options that are out there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well I have to agree with part of what is posted in this tread.. SO MANY options, so many choices. The Valor from DW...wow. My new Carry Rail from Sig. The new Fusions..
But I still like the Kimbers.. The TLE for the price, tough to beat. Same w/ the Custom. The CDP line could have its own forum.. 3" 1911's REQUIRE a firm wrist, and consistant grip, lots of REAL practice (not beer cans with buddies). Just my opinion. CDP's have huge # of fans.

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
Don't get me wrong Kimbers are far from "bad guns" I own the Gold Combat ll and the Warrior and after changing a few parts like the extractor and slide stop and disconnector
which I feel needs to be replaced if your life is counting on it I will use either C& S Parts or Wilson's Bulletproof parts. A Slide stop that breaks could cost you your life, I would recommend replacing the high stress MIM parts on any pistol. Yet when Kimber first out
like any other company wants a good name Kimber is no different, after that it is cost saving time.
Vic

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I'm with you vic, I will change out mim stress parts on a carry gun.

Saying you would rather have yonkers mim than chinese forged in an american gun is kind of like saying you would rather have it than a plastic slide stop or extractor. I don't see american 1911 makers using chinese stress parts, at least the ones I know of. It would be more reasonable to compare it to what is out there.

I will say that the norincos that came here before the ban have the reputation of being harder steel than we use here, don't know if they still use it or not.

I personally will pass on a kimber II with the swarz safety and I would replace the internals on any kimber I planned on carrying anyway.

I firmly believe kimbers quality has taken a nosedive, concentrating on quantity not quality. They have also alienated a lot of dealers, they require them to sell a certain amount of pistols minimum to carry them and in the city I moved from pretty much all the dealers quit selling new kimbers because of this. Don't know about here yet.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have had more issues with "forged" parts than MIM. No problems whatsoever with MIM. Can there be bad MIM parts? Sure, but there can be bad "forged" or "billet" parts as well. It all comes down to quality control.

Both of my pre-series II Kimbers run like champs but after the series II came out they seem to be hit and miss.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I guess we wil have to disagree. The only grip safety I ever had the tang break off of just installing it was a chip mccormick mim, never used another. Never had any problems with cast ones. You also see cast frames and I have not seen one break, never seen a mim one. That cbob has a cast frame. Wilson combat quit using mim in their guns for problems.

Mim is also much cheaper to make, chock full o mim guns should be cheaper not more expensive.

But the mim debate can go on and on and on, not worth the enerrgy. Just buy what you want.

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
On non stress area's you can never have a problem with MIM parts but I was a toolmaker for many years. Trust in a Forged part anyday then a MIM one in high stress area's. I agree quality control is a major factor. Yet Kimbers for the most part uses a MIM slide stop. If that goes your dead in the water, I rather take no chances and just
buy a quality forged one. That is what you are paying for a .200 Dia. Non MIM part . That was just one example.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kimber Pro Covert II

Every one is intitled to thier own opinon, and my opinon of the Kimbers that I have ownwed and shot is dismel at best. I have no more kimbers in my arsenal, but my 26 year old son has alway's wanted the Kimber Pro covert II because of the cool look, and crimson lazer grips. He forgets that when he was a liitle tike, his dad, while in the US Army 5th Special forces, alway's returned home unskaved from missions in far off lands. I alway's carried at least one 1911 as a back up, and it was never a Kimber! Granted my career with Special OPS was well before all the Kimbers, Sig's, and high end 1911's were available. I was lucky enough to have a armorer in our unit that new how to tune a Colt, adding all the bells and whistles needed for top performance, not to mention that the Special OPS field has the best budget for our weapons of war!!! I moved some old wheel guns and purchased the Kimber for my son. I shot it this past Sunday, and it performed OK, but the lazer grips are off target right out the box. I will give it to him for Xmas, and let him do any adjustments it needs. Unfortunitly younger generations are more about looks than performance for the money. Hopefuly he will learn the hard way, as I, and many before me did. The school of hard knocks, it is what it is. happy holiday's to all, capttom!:wavey::flag:

Reactions: Jennifers

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have owned several Kimbers (all Series II). I still do. I once had 3 different Ultra II models, an eclipse, a stainless and a CDP. They all functioned without issue with various factory hardball, SD ammo and handloaded lead swc (all 3 Ultras had well over 700 rounds through them). The Ultra Eclipse II was traded for a well worn blued Combat Commander. The Stainless Ultra II was traded for a LNIB alloy P12 and I use my Ultra CDP II as an EDC BUG. The Eclipse has become a safe queen for the guy I traded with not because it was unreliable, but because he said it was "too purdy" to shoot (after he put another 500 rounds through her - again without any issues). The Stainless Ultra II is now my friend's EDC.

My first Kimber was a Custom II and only issue I have with it is the finish wear on the thumb safety. I just picked up a Stainless Raptor II and it is, thus far, flawless (only 300 rounds through it) and a work of art.

The only "new" Colt I ever purchased was a LW XSE Commander (through Gunbroker), that had to go back to Colt immediately as there were several things wrong/broken. Colt fixed the issues and even refunded my shipping costs.

My latest Para Ordnance (P14-45, NRA Gun Rights) had a problem with its POI being low to POA, but they sent me a replacement front fiber optic front sight and all is peachy now.

Any manufacturer can let a bad gun get through QC, I believe Kimber has more complaints based on the sheer volume of guns they sell. I've never had any issues with any of the Kimbers I have owned and won't condemn them until I experience otherwise (and they don't/won't fix it). I feel badly for those that have had issues with their Kimbers and hope they find a resolution (be it repair or replacement with a different brand). I know once you've been burned, you tend shy away from a particular brand, but I got burned by a brand new Colt... I fully plan on getting another (or two or three) in the future. I guess their customer service (like Para Ordnance's) treated me right and I was satisfied enough to have confidence in the company.

It seems a lot of hard feelings are caused by Kimber's very own customer service dept and they've caused more ill will than a defective (not bad) product. I fully believe that all those people who have had issues with their Kimbers, had been treated better by customer service, and the repair dept fixed these guns properly, we probably wouldn't have the mass internet haters of Kimbers products.

I love MY Kimbers... everyone who has handled/shot my Kimbers are envious of them. I have never pulled the trigger and had it go click instead of BANG, but I am aware that the swartz system is there and assemble my guns carefully (I don't have any idiot scratches on any of my guns either). I really don't care for ANY firing pin safety (even the series 80s in my Colts and Paras), but they are there (thanks to Kalifornia & lawyers) and they have not interfered with the function of my guns. I guess I can always get a Dan Wesson or high end semi-custom to avoid FP safeties all together, but my latest purchase was a Kimber "custom shop" Raptor II and I don't regret it at all (just delayed me from getting a Wilson Combat)... aaaaaaaah so many toys, not enough time/money.

ETA: Time to glaze the ham... HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts