1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about getting a Kimber .22 cal conversion kit for my Springfield Loaded 1911. Shooting .45s all the time is too expensive.

Has anyone ever used the kit? is it worth the $320?

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
For 320 I would get a Ruger Mark II/III, or even a 22/45. I wouldn't get a conversion kit. You still have only one gun. For the same amount of money, you can get two.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was thinking about that myself, I love how the Mark II and MIIIs look, kind of like an Automag without the hammer.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
The Kits are spotty from kimber.. While a Mark II or III ruger is fine still not a 1911 but i do use either the ruger or my Model 41 SMith more ..

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
You mean like this one Stony!!!

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
You do like to rub it in don't you AutoMag?

You could also look a the Ruger 22/45 Stonyman. It is supposed to have the same grip stance, and angle of the grips is the same as the 1911.

·
Registered
49 Posts
OK, I'll go against the flow here. I used to think having a separate .22 auto pistol was better than a .22 conversion on my 1911. And, after I bought my first conversion unit from Wilson about 10 yrs ago, I still thought a separate .22 pistol would be better. At that time I believe Wilsons were made by Ciener, and really weren't top quality. Although it was functional, the accuracy was mediocre. I sold the Wilson and bought a Ruger Govt Model Target, Browning Buckmark, and S&W Model 41. The M41 was the best shooter of the three. I was highly satisfied with the M41. But, then about a year ago I bought a used Marvel conversion unit (type 1). In side by side, bench rest, accuracy testing against my M41, with all types of .22 ammo, the Marvel unit proved itself to be as accurate in every case, and more accurate with about half the different ammo, as the M41.

Today, I recommend the Marvel conversion unit over all other .22 conversion units, and over all .22 pistols. And another big plus is that you have the same grip, trigger, and operating controls as your favorite 1911.

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
I'm with Rod. I bought a Marvel #1, and never looked back. Here is on the Springer TRP.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Thanks Stony!!! By the way, check out my avatar!!!:smile:

I have an Advantage Arms Target Model 22 conversion kit on an RIA frame. I lapped them together for a perfect fit!!! To date I have not had any problems with it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I have that pic saved on my computer Automag - I love those guns. I wish that some day I can be the proud owner of an Automag.

By the way, I think I am going to go with one of the Ruger Mark 3s...

I like the MarkIII standard but I have to try the 22/45 model.I'll check them out on my next visit to toys R us (AKA the gun store)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Thanks Stony!!!:smile

The Auto Mag is a pistol that was way ahead of it's time!!! I am honored to know Walter Sanford, Harry Sanford's son. As you know Harry was the originator of the Auto Mag pistol. It is a very fun pistol to shoot but if you were to break any parts it gets real expensive. A bolt for example, that is if you can locate one will go in the $1200.00 range or so!!!!:eek::eek:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wilson Combat .22 Conversion

I have a Wilson Combat .22 Conversion kit that I use on a Springfield Armory TRP frame (sometimes on a CQB frame also). It runs flawlessly and is as accurate as the .45 it replaces. With the conversion I use all the same leather (holster + mag holder) as I do with the .45, and that's good for muscle memory. Because I'm use the .45 lower the trigger pull is the same regardless of which upper I have on the gun.
I wish I had gotten the conversion much earier, I have only had mine for three years. I'm not going to say that it has never jamed, or that it will take a tick off a dogs ear at 100 yards, but it's as dependable and accurate as a Ruger MK II. With it I can practice draw and first shot placement for what,,,, 3 cents? Low noise:plugears:, cheap to shoot:nuts:, what's not to love:biglaugh:.

·
1911auto Supporters
83 Posts
Thanks Stony!!! By the way, check out my avatar!!!:smile:

I have an Advantage Arms Target Model 22 conversion kit on an RIA frame. I lapped them together for a perfect fit!!! To date I have not had any problems with it.
Auto-
Can any 1911/22 mag work with the Advantage kit? I just checked out their site, 25 bucks for 10 round .22 mags are quite pricey.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I went with a steel frame Kimber and added the Kimber conversion unit.

Once I cycled the slide a few (like 450 to 500) times (by hand) it has been flawless.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I grow up I'm gonna get one of them Auto Mags. Fantastic weapon. I've had the pleasure to shoot one once back in Berkeley. CA with a LEO friend of mine and a member of the 44 Magnum Club. Back then that was "The Greatest" when it came to handguns. Sorry for going off track. Each time I see one I can feel my heart rate increase.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The Wilson Combat .22 Conversion is first class, but that's what you expect from Wilson.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got the Kimber Conversion for my Colt 1911. After I got rid of the magazine that came with it, it works good. I actually inherited it from my Dads collection when he passed. My Brother told me, that Dad never did get it to work right. I tried everything to make it work with negative results. Then one day I was having breakfast with the fellas, and we got to talking 1911's, and I found out my pal had the kimber 1911 and the conversion. So he brought his stuff over to my range, and after a couple of minutes, I tried one of his Promags in my 1911, and it worked perfect. I probably would have just shelved the kit had it not been for that morning. I went and ordered 2 Promags and its been good ever since. I don't use it very often, but it seems to work with ammo other than minimags, like Winchester Super X, and Federal bulk stuff. Didn't want to test fate and use the golden bucket crap, that I can shoot out of my Henry.
Bottom line it works just fine, but I don't know about that price tag that comes with it. Being aluminum though, it does make it a little bit nicer to carry when I'm up in the woods on my property.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts