1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I 've been pretty impressed with the endorsements here, and with the communications I have had with Bob. He's been very cordial and patient with me while I made up my mind.

I finally placed my order for a partial build to be used in Service Pistol matches.

I'll keep you all posted as things come together.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AKCM,
That depends on ship's schedule. It would be LANT fleet if we are in port. I had a great time at Dam Neck this year. I didn't shoot real great though using a borrowed 1911, (Sights drifted partway through the EIC Match). That's why I decided to get my own for next season.

I'm kinda on my own down here in King's Bay. It would be nice to have several folks around to share tools with to build these for the Spring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have mine!!!

I have recieved my first Fusion. Bob and I had a miss communication and I got a 5 inch instead of a long slide. However the more I handled it the more I fell in love with it. I had talked with Bob about returning it but of all people my wife said I should keep it because it was built just for me. And if I really wanted a long slide, wait a few months and call him and order one. Well thats all I needed. I sent Bob an email saying I wasnt sending it back.
I havent shot it yet but if it shoots like it looks and feels it will be awsome! So believe me when I say all the waiting will be worth it!!

Thanks Bob!!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Skipwave,

I'm glad everything worked out for you. Now you get to keep the one you have, and get that long slide you wanted. I am patiently waiting for my own Fusion. Let us know how your new toy shoots.

P.S. It sounds like you have a winner both in gun and wife!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dale and donkey

Thanks for your support. Yea I have a great wife! The Fusion makes the 4th 1911 i have bought. The other 3 are Springfields. The first one i got was the GI model. Then my son and I found their Long Slide and their dual finish Loaded combat model. I ordered both and the LS came in first and we waited several months for the gunshop to locate the dual finish Loaded. Well I decided to just get the LS. Boy does that one shoot nice. Anyway when I went up to the gunshop here in Virginia Beach to fill out the FFL for the Fusion they had the dual finish Loaded in the showcase. Well i hurried home and told the wife I was going to get it and she said cool. So I dove into my stash and went screamin back up there and got it. So now I have my own personal arsenal of 1911's and it will probably grow. As soon as I figure out how to put pictures in here I will puts some in. I also need to get loading so I will have enough rounds to put through each one!

·
Registered
4 Posts
SSGN Doc,
I was at the matches as well, I had a problem with my gun too. I was match Senior Enlisted Advisor. One of the guys from the armory van that was at the matches is down in South Carolina and can probably help you out with the build. I need to see where he is at in relation to you. We can also see who is down in your area that might be able to help out.
Leec4c,
Do you shoot often? Do you like to shoot BE? let me know, just because you've put your time in, doesn't mean you can't shoot with us.
Dave

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, you're that AKCM. It would be good to find out about any help I might be able to get in the final assembly. So if you do find some contact info on the armorer I would appreciate it. I ran into another shooter today at the branch clinic. He will be spending some time assisting the GEORGIA next month so I may be able to get more info on what resources he has as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Picked up the beginnings of my kit yesterday, and so far I 'm pretty impressed.

Slide to frame fit is excellent, as is the barrel/bushing fit. Seeing the frame and slide in their raw metal state almost makes me wish I had ordered the kit in stainless steel.

I had been up for the better part of two days, dealing with radiation health paperwork and remaining onboard the submarine for undocking evolutions from drydock. I spent a few minutes trying to get started on fitting fire control group parts, but figured out quickly this probably wasn't a smart thing to do when grouchy and tired. I definitely didn't want to do anything that would be irreversible if I screwed up.

Tonight I got most of the frame components installed, but still have some final fitting of the disconnector height to do to get the slide to go on easily and have the disconnector engage the sear properly.

All in all, things have gone together quite nicely, compared to some of the horror stories I have read about build-it-yourself projects. Still will be a lot of final polishing to do,and refinements to the trigger pull, etc.

I also, realized that I forgot to order a firing pin stop that is cut to fit a slide with Bomar cuts.

I'll try to get pictures up this weekend that show some of the progression of parts becoming pistol.

Thanks again to Bob and the folks at Fusion for making a quality product that makes the rest of the part's fitting fairly simple.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.