1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First a little history. I purchased what was left after a wannabe gunsmith tried to make a P220 into a race gun. He cut deep cuts into the rear of the slide and mangled the muzzle end trying to fit Bomars or a similar sight. Then he threaded the barrel and did a poor job at that. The gun sat on the shelf in the back room of a gun shop until a manager that worked there decided to buy it.

I became aquainted with this manager and one day he was telling me the story about what was left of the gun. At this point the only thing left was the slide, frame, and barrel. I showed some interest so he pulled it out and asked if I wanted to buy it. It was really rough, the slide and barrel were probably too far gone unless you were a good metalsmith but the frame was in good shape except for some paint spatter on it when someone must have painted the room without a drop cloth. We came to a price on it and I made the purchase.

I knew there were parts kits available on the Internet because I had seen guns on there that were complete minus the frame. One day I found a complete P220 minus the frame. When I received the parts I put the gun together and the new barrel was a little tight. I shot it and it was very accurate, typical Sig, but I did not like how tight the barrel was.

At the beginning of this year I saw a post on THR about CCR refinishing and decided to send the ugly duckling off to Brad to have it looked over and refinished. You would think the story ended here.....nope there's more. :smile:

Brad called me soon after receiving it and said that the reason the barrel was tight is that it had a slight bulge in it. :eek: So the search was on for a barrel and I found a good used match barrel on the sigforum and sent it to Brad. Here are the results:

He did a fantastic job. I have some before pictures but they don't begin to show how bad the gun looked. It now looks and feels like new.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Looks really good from the story to this

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Quite a story, looking good now though. It's great when a butchered up gun gets rescued and a second chance.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Beautiful!
A West German gun ta boot.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not sure on what brand the barrel is, all I know is that it is stainless. It does have a nice snug lockup and I can't wait to try it out.

Thanks for the compliments. I really have to thank Brad for an unbelievable job. I wish I had taken better pics before the restoration but all I have pics of the butcher job from the gunsmith.

The barrel:

Here is the slide, you can see the paint spatter and what the hacker did to the slide:

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Wow, the 'smith did do a great repair job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts