1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone as you can see I'm new to the board and I have to say great info on what "seems" to be a great firearm.

I have been driving myself nuts looking at all the companies that make 1911 and I have almost given up hope on having a 1911 to protect myself. I know any gun "could" have problems, but seeing the things that happen to 1911s just seems to be "more problems" and that just worries me.

Yes I have looked at the high end customs and if it takes $1,700+ to "hope" the gun fires and puts the next round in the tube for a follow up shot, then I just can't afford that right now.

I have sent an e-mail out about 2hrs ago to Fusion to see what can be done for me with a cost of around $1000 (a bit more in cash and maybe a trade in of a Sig 2340).

My problem is... I do want looks with this gun as well as reliability, durability and for it to hit where I point, I just don't want a "black" gun). I am looking for a good (no, great) 5" 1911 with night sites, polished controls would be nice and shoots a .45. I guess to make it easier, something like the "1911 Scout Elite XL", Custom Commander, (speaking in looks, not package).

With above said, I guess I am making comments or maybe asking is it possible to get what I want with what money I have available for a 1911. If not, I guess my next gun of choice will have to be the HK45.

Now waiting time for my e-mail (totally understand this Sunday and Fusion I am sure are very busy) to be replied to and see what Fusion has to say.

Thanks for hearing me out.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Can't Say i have had good luck with most makes only recently have i had any probs but 1 was non carry gun or was a carry when hunting gun..

Bob will take care of ya

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello Mr. Steve and :welcome:

Like you I am also very new to the forum and to Fusion - If you check other forums online including this one you will find many many pleased customers who believe the fit, finish and functionality of Fusion is on par or exceeding some of the other fine firearm's makers.

Bob Serva is also a pleasure to work with - He has answered all my emails very quickly and has sent me follow-up emails on his own to offer additional suggestions and see if I had additional questions!

I am currently working on a quote and I look forward to seeing what Mr. Serva can create. For fun yesterday I went to a local gunshop that I know carries some nice firearms. I got to handle and inspect an Ed Brown Kobra Carry, Wilson Combat Elite, and a NightHawk Custom Talon III (the most expensive of the bunch). These were all very fine examples of semi-custom pistols and the fit, finish and quality level was easy to appreciate.

From looking at the prices on Fusion's website - The quality level and craftsmanship look exceptional for a significantly lower price that they are asking for a semi-custom pistol. How many companies can you order a pistol from where the president is involved from the beginning working with you to customize the pistol to your exact specifications?!!!

It's almost a no-brainer to order a Fusion - or at least for me it is :biggrin:

Cheers to you and good luck building the 1911 of your dreams :dancingbananna:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies.

Yes I have to agree on the comments about Fusion, that is why I am here. I have done some reading and I hope I can be taken care of with my concerns and price range. Time will tell. I am about 3 weeks out from making a buy, so I have time to work out details. The 3 weeks is also around the time I could receive my Florida concealed license. But in turn, I guess I would be looking at another 7 weeks (Did I see about 10 weeks for a built gun?) for something to made by Fusion if I did something now.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
As a Fusion owner I would give the go ahead.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Sweet Perfection

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
I know, I'm just so happy with it I can't resist posting a pic every chance I get.:whistle:

·
Registered
473 Posts
MrSteve said:
I have been driving myself nuts looking at all the companies that make 1911 and I have almost given up hope on having a 1911 to protect myself. I know any gun "could" have problems, but seeing the things that happen to 1911s just seems to be "more problems" and that just worries me.
What kind of 1911 do you want? Combat style that will eat anything you put through it with hundreds of rounds between cleaning or a Target gun that is so tight it whistles but will hit a fly at 25 yards?

Once you figure that out then you need to find a company that offers good customer service in case you have issues, Fusion is one of them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been carrying a Glock or a worked over 1911 for about 6 years now. While there are a few stock 1911's I would consider carrying once they proved themselves, until recently a custom or semi-custom 1911 was not an option for me.

For the past 4 months I've been wanting to get a dedicated CCW 1911 that I don't have to do anything to but shoot and clean. After much reading, and purchasing a Fusion Commander kit, I decided to splurge and have Fusion build a bobtail Commaner to fulfill my CCW wishes. The gun will have to prove itself on the range, but I do believe that this new gun will become my ultimate carry gun.

Your price restriction could be a slight problem, but you should definitely speak with Bob about what you want. If he can get you close on the price, I'd say definitely go with the Fusion.

ETA: I wouldn't say Fusion is your last chance, but they are probably your best option based on price, value, customer service and lead time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Marshall... I thought I figured out what I want ;) .

I want a gun I can trust my life on, if I do my job with good aim, I want the gun to put the bullet where I aim. No range gun, no sport gun, no hunting gun, I want a personnel protection gun. I shoot here on my property when ever I get the chance, that isn't often, but I do my best to keep my eyes and trigger finger working together for the best possible 1st and 2nd shot and just as important checking gun function/reliability.

Cleaning is not a problem, no matter if I put only 8 rounds down the tube or 1000, it will always be cleaned to as close as possible when it was new, I do my very best for the gun as I hope the gun would do for me... I have cleaned guns more then I have shot them.

Like I said before all I want is a 5" 1911 that shoots .45s, that is reliability/durability/hits at POA and good looks (in my eyes). I don't think I am asking for much or am I? I mean for $1000.00 why can't that happen? In this day and age dose someone really have to pay 3,000 for a gun that should work "all the time"?

If and when the gun is needed, I don't want my last words to be "what the $#@*, it didn't fire".

watertower... Yes price is going to be a problem. Price seems to always be the problem when looking for 1911s. I really wish this wasn't the case, it is such a great gun.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I agree with marshalldodge there are plenty of good 1911's out there in your price range.

I really don't know where you are coming from. Based on no experience you believe there are no 1911's you can trust under 1000.00. Based on my experience, of actually owning a number of them and different brands, the fusion I just got is the first one I have ever had that I paid over 1000.00 for. The fusion is an excellent well made gun, but I have NEVER had problems with reliability with any 1911.

I have seen a lot of great reliability posts about the ria and it's a little over 300.00, that's just starting out and there are a lot brands on the way up the price scale.

Every gun, glocks, xd's, etc., should have a few hundred rounds through it before being trusted for carrying. NO brands are perfect and anyone that does not put some rounds down any brand to make sure they run right is risking their life (if it's a carry or home defense gun).

How many companies are making glocks compared to how many making 1911's? There are a slew of companies making 1911's so quality will differ. There is one company making glocks. Most problems with 1911's are the magazines. There are 2 slews of companies making magazines and out of those about 2 brands are the most recommended by users.

I'm sorry and don't mean to piss you off but you already have yourself convinced 1911's are inferior without ever owning one, so I thnk you would be better off with something else.

I will say again that fusion is a great 1911, I don't believe anyone can go wrong with one. I carry 1911's, will continue to carry 1911s that I trust with my life with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are good 1911's out there that will fit your needs and won't cost you thousands. If you can't get what you want from Fusion then I would take a look at a Dan Wesson or one of Springfield's Loaded models.

I might be heading "back" that way again, but I hope Fusion can get me what I want, time will tell ($1,000 isn't the limit, but close to it).

I did/do have a liking for the Springer TRP/trophy match, but "retail" is jumping past the Fusion... Loaded seem to be ok and there are many choices, but if I remember don't have have 2 things about them I don't like?

1, 2 piece barrel
2, Clued in extractor, not pined.

Correct me if I am wrong with the above.

It would be nice if a USA company (Springfield) that has been around so long would have their parts and guns made in the USA. It looks as if the only way to have American hands touch a Springfield is to have it sent to their custom shop or send it back because it broke... Life time warranty isn't going to do me any good if the gun doesn't go bang when my life needs it to.

Looking DW, I see they are nice guns and I have had "allot" of people push me that way, just where are the choices? I guess not having many choices could be a good thing, better control on quality.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I'm sorry and don't mean to piss you off but you already have yourself convinced 1911's are inferior without ever owning one, so I think you would be better off with something else.
My thoughts exactly...I Just couldn't get it into words that sounded the way I wanted.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
2 piece barrel?

The springfield that exists now has nothing in common with the old springfield except for the name they bought. They are mainly an import company, their 1911's and xd's for example. The current company bought the springfield name in the 70's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guys... No that is not the case, I do not think 1911s are inferior the base gun is one of the best guns ever made. I think that the companies that are forcing their product could be inferior, they are the people that are saying, "I don't care I want, 1000 guns ready to ship in a week, we will take care of the bad under warranty"

Can you blame me for my concerns? I mean look at other 1911 forums... Not that this isn't a good forum, but look at others with many more members with many more post on problems, look at the problems people point out. I am sure you have seen the the problems so I wont post them.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Forums are like that, you are going to get more posts of problems. Go to a forum of just about any car, appliance, etc. and you can easily have yourself convinced there are no good products.

When I got my first digital camera people were posting of stuck pixels and a lot of people were passing by that particular camera because of it. The fact is that all digital cameras have stuck pixels.

You will drive yourself nuts if you convince yourself that the problems posted in the forums represent anywhere near the majorty of owners when they do not.

Bud and I both have posted never having reliability problems, going on the amount of guns we have owned that would be impossible if the majority was failing.

Take 1911forum, they have 54,00+ members. Just what percentage of those are posting problems? I know they are not all actively posting, but you can bet they would be if they were having problems.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts