1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy new year every one!! I have posted this in the Springfield area, but thought it had relavence elsewhere too. I have a SA GI and have recently been educated on the relation between mainspring weight and trigger pull. SO, I`ve been thinking about changing the mainspring and other MSH parts. I`m not too worried about replacing the ILS MSH itself, just the internals, unless someone offers me compelling reasons to replace everything while I`m at it. In trying to research the parts necessary to do the swap, I`ve become a little confused:hairpull:, since this would be my first attempt at this. What all parts are necessary for swapping into the ILS MSH? If I choose to replace the MSH too, do they come complete or would the internals be required also? Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
the spring length is different in an ILS MSH, so if you want to change out the MSH, then you need to change out the internals too. I believe you will need to buy all the parts seperately, you might be able to find the complete MSH tho.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
to replace it you need a mainspring cap .. cap pin.. mainspring and that will do it using the ILS MSH;.. If you go with a new MSH same stuff but you also need mainspring housing retainer

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I`ve done a little additional research today and think I`ve got it figured out...think is the operative word. From Midway, I ordered the C&S complete 1911 pin set along with a Wolff 23 lb mainspring. And I broke down and ordered the Swenson MSH as well. Will this be all the proper components I need or am I missing something?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
that should be everything

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Bud, I appreciate the help. Now I get to wait patiently for the parts to come.:biglaugh:

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
C&S is all I use also. This is what I put in all my 1911's
[FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA][/FONT][FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA][FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA]CS213 - 1911 Ultra Match Chamfered 3.5 lb. Trigger Pull (5 piece) Set[/FONT]

This set is specifically prepped and matched to give a 3.5 lb. trigger pull without any stoning of the sear or hammer. The sear spring will need to be properly tensioned for your specific pistol. Recommeded for target use only.

Price: $166.75
[/FONT]

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
C&S is all I use also. This is what I put in all my 1911's
[FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA][FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA]CS213 - 1911 Ultra Match Chamfered 3.5 lb. Trigger Pull (5 piece) Set[/FONT]

This set is specifically prepped and matched to give a 3.5 lb. trigger pull without any stoning of the sear or hammer. The sear spring will need to be properly tensioned for your specific pistol. Recommeded for target use only.

Price: $166.75
[/FONT]
At this stage of my life and varied hobbies, I only plan to use my 1911`s as defense/carry weapons, along with range practice as well of course. So my goal is to get my GI trigger pull something less than the nearly 6 lb pull it has now. If swapping to a 23 lb mainspring will help to lighten the pull some...say 5 lb or less, I`ll be happy. My S&W trigger is 4.5 lb and sweet as pie. Also, I`ve never done any of these maintainence tasks before, so I`m easing into it, hoping to carefully learn as I go. Working with small intricate parts has always scared the begeebies out of me.....give me automotive or industrial engines and transmissions and I`m right at home. Those have BIG parts. Perhaps as my experience grows, my desire to venture deeper into the 1911 will grow too. Thank you for the suggestions and the support.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Mainspring is only a couple of Ounces you need to fit and polish the sear and trigger to get down to 4#

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
Well said Bud I can adjust the Sear spring and buff the tops but I have a stoning Jig to match the sear and trigger. I leave the hook no less then .020

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
yep .020 or .022 is what you hear the most

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
or Crack the tip or go full auto from Bounce

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The parts I ordered from Midway got here yesterday, so I gave a try to changing out the MSH. I decided to just replace the internals of the ILS MSH for the moment and see how things performed. Since I had gotten the Wolff mainsprings in 19,20,21, and 23 lb, I decided to try the 21 lb set up first, figuring if firing pin strikes were light, I could go up to the 23 lb. The installation was definately a learning experience, but I did it and I am certainly wiser for the next time around. I was amazed at the significant difference in trigger pull. I hadn`t had the gun on a guage before but estimated it to be a solid 6 lb or more pull. I`m guessing that the pull now is 5 lb plus. It`s not as light or crisp as my S&W 4.5 lb guaged trigger, but much better than before. I am definately happy:biggrin:

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
The 28 # ILS spring is way heavy and does add to trigger pull

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think a 23 lb spring is way to heavy . I belive I have a 18 in one colt and a 20 in a different colt. I got a 16lb in my PPK/S and it made some difference on the DA

·
Registered
17 Posts
With the lighter hammer spring you may want to think about replacing the titanium firing pin and it's recoil spring with a Stainless Steel firing pin and standard weight firing pin spring. :wink:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With the lighter hammer spring you may want to think about replacing the titanium firing pin and it's recoil spring with a Stainless Steel firing pin and standard weight firing pin spring. :wink:
I have given thought to the firing pin and spring too. I already researched the parts necessary should I decide to make that change. But for now, the primers of the ammo I use have identical (to me) strike patterns, performance seems normal, so I`ll leave well enough alone for the moment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts