·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For those of you who may not understand whats happening here...Let me explain...

A retail store is being allowed to keep a file on you...A RETAIL STORE

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts

http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/media-center/pr007-08.shtml

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 14, 2008
No. 07

WAL-MART AND MAYORS AGAINST ILLEGAL GUNS ANNOUNCE "RESPONSIBLE FIREARMS RETAILER PARTNERSHIP": A 10-POINT VOLUNTARY CODE

The Voluntary Code - A Set of Retail Best Practices - Goes Beyond What is Required by Law

Wal-Mart and the bi-partisan coalition of Mayors Against Illegal Guns today announced that Wal-Mart, the largest seller of firearms in the nation, has adopted the new Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership, a 10-point code that will help ensure that guns do not fall into the wrong hands. The Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership, created by Mayors Against Illegal Guns and Wal-Mart, is a set of policies that will be implemented over time that includes video recording of sales, rigid controls on inventory, checks that gun purchasers are not misrepresenting themselves and the development of a first-of-its kind computerized crime gun trace log for retailers. The new crime gun trace log will flag purchases by customers who have previously bought guns later recovered in crimes. Mayors Against Illegal Guns and Wal-Mart developed the code to curb some of the most common ways guns end up in the hands of criminals. Wal-Mart will implement the 10-point code at its stores where firearms are sold. The announcement was made at the Mayors Against Illegal Guns National Summit, where representatives from 60 cities gathered to discuss ways to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, held at the Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center in Washington, D.C.

"We know the ways that guns can end up being used in crimes. Now a responsible and innovative company has stood up with our over-300 member coalition of mayors to strengthen their sales practices to keep guns out of the hands of criminals," said New York City Mayor and coalition co-chair Michael R. Bloomberg. "I've always believed in leading by example, and Wal-Mart has again demonstrated why it's a great American company. The Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership makes good sense - it will have no impact on a well-intentioned and law-abiding gun buyer - but will help keep Americans safer."

"Wal-Mart currently uses a strong point of sale system that allows us to serve the many hunters and outdoorsmen who've made us their retailer of choice, while also ensuring the responsible sale of firearms," said JP Suarez, senior vice president and chief compliance officer, Wal-Mart. "This code is a way for us to fine tune the things we're already doing and further strengthen our standards. We hope other retailers will join us in adopting the code."

"Partnerships like this one emphasize our mission to keep illegal guns off our streets, and reinforces that we are not cracking down on legal gun owners and the Second Amendment," said Boston Mayor and coalition co-chair Thomas M. Menino. "This is about public safety and I want to thank Wal-Mart for taking responsibility and being a leader in this area. This code of contact will have no impact on the rights of responsible gun owners, but will help mayors and our law enforcement stop the proliferation of illegal guns."

The Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership is designed to strengthen the points in the gun purchasing system that criminals have exploited in the past. According to the US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), 46% of its criminal gun trafficking investigations involved straw purchasers, where someone who is not legally allowed to purchase a firearm does so through the use of a proxy, known as a straw buyer. Examples of the provisions in the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership intended to deter and stop illegal purchasers are videotaped sales, increased monitoring of fake IDs, the crime gun trace log, and increased training for employees to spot illegal purchases. Additionally, the inventory controls and increased physical security for firearms in the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership are intended to stem lost and stolen guns, which ATF reports often make their way into the illegal market.

The 10 points of the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership are:

1. Videotaping the Point of Sale for All Firearms Transactions. Participating retailers will videotape the point-of-sale of all firearms transactions and maintain videos for 6 months to deter illegal purchases and monitor employees.

2. Computerized Crime Gun Trace Log and Alert System. Mayors Against Illegal Guns will develop a computerized system that participating retailers will implement over time to log crime gun traces relating to the retailer. Once the program is in place, if a customer who has a prior trace at that retailer attempts to purchase a firearm, the sale will be electronically flagged. The retailer would have discretion to proceed with the sale or stop the sale.

3. Purchaser Declaration. For sales flagged by the trace alert system, participating retailers will ask purchasers to fill out a declaration indicating that they meet the legal requirement to purchase the firearm.

4. Deterring Fake IDs. Participating retailers will only accept valid federal- or state-issued picture IDs as primary identification. Retailers will utilize additional ID checking mechanisms.

5. Consistent Visible Signage Consistent Visible Signage. Participating retailers will post signage created by the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership to alert customers of their legal responsibilities at the point-of-sale.

6. Employee Background Checks. Participating retailers will conduct criminal background checks for all employees selling or handling firearms.

7. Employee Responsibility Training. Participating retailers will participate in an employee responsibility training program focused on deterring illegal purchasers. The Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership will create an online training system based on Wal-Mart's training program.

8. Inventory Checking. Participating retailers will conduct daily and quarterly audits. Guidelines will be based on Wal-Mart's existing audit procedures.

9. No Sales Without Background Check Results.
Participating retailers would prohibit sales based on "default proceeds," which are permitted by law when the background check has not returned a result within 3 days.

10. Securing Firearms. Participating retailers will maintain firearms kept in customer accessible areas in locked cases or locked to racks.

Participating retailers will phase in the provisions of Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership over time.

A new national poll conducted jointly by Greenberg Quinlan Rosner Research and The Tarrance Group and released last week found that Americans overwhelmingly support measures like those included in the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership. For example, 91 percent of Americans favor requiring gun stores to do background checks on employees. According to the poll, 93 percent of gun owners said being video taped in a store while purchasing firearms would make no difference to them or would make them more likely to purchase a firearm from that retailer.

Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership logo

For more information about Mayors Against Illegal Guns, visit: www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org. For more information about Wal-Mart, visit: www.walmartstores.com

Mayor Bloomberg's Press Office
(212) 788-2958
Mayor Menino's Press Office (617) 635-4461
Wal-Mart Media Relations

·
Registered
65 Posts
While I'm not pleased with what they are saying, look closely and you'll see that there is only one item that is not already being done. They say they will build some software to track BATF inquiries. In other words "remember" the name of someone that purchased a firearm at WalMart that was used in the commission of a crime.YAWN! So what?

To those of you with Tin-Foil hats, get used to it! That has been a fact of life in the twenty first century for ALL eight years of it. :eek: :rofl: :shades:

This is nothing but the typical liberal hog wash that lets them point at "something they have done" that is actually meaningless! :crazy:

If you choose to pay more for your groceries, I'm glad you can. :notworthy:

·
Registered
692 Posts
While I'm not pleased with what they are saying, look closely and you'll see that there is only one item that is not already being done. They say they will build some software to track BATF inquiries. In other words "remember" the name of someone that purchased a firearm at WalMart that was used in the commission of a crime.YAWN! So what?

To those of you with Tin-Foil hats, get used to it! That has been a fact of life in the twenty first century for ALL eight years of it. :eek: :rofl: :shades:

This is nothing but the typical liberal hog wash that lets them point at "something they have done" that is actually meaningless! :crazy:

Pat, I think most folks on this board know what the liberals are up to - it's just more than a little troublesome to see the wave of anti-gun sentiment becoming so widely accepted. And, I doubt if there are very many members that have tin hats.

This move by the company that has become a staple supply house for rural America is cause for concern. Few will say 'so what'.

For many, the only weapon we have to combat the corporate policies we disdain is our pocket book. If we buyers stay away, the company will suffer. Maybe you feel that WM is just too big to be affected by a boycott by gun owners, I don't know. But, if folks with your attitude continue to support the stores, then nothing will change.

In the final analysis, you'll get the kind of weapons purchase oversight that you deserve.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I can and will boycott ANYTHING or ANYBODY that sides with Bloomberg...he is taking it one step at a time...if we let him he will make it to the finish line. WalMart is all about making $$$...if this costs them money, they will drop it...

WalMart answered my email within 2 hours of it being sent to the corporate office...they are listening...so everybody that cares, be sure to tell them what you think in a professional manner.

Heres where I sent the email...be sure to select the option to send it to the corporate office. It requires name, address, and email...
http://walmartstores.com/contactus/feedback.aspx

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I tell you another thing that happened with Wal-Mart, the local Wal-Mart I frequent got rid of their guns. They weren't making any money, too many pawn brokers with better guns, and better deals. However, not long before that, a buddy of mine went in to buy a shotgun, and after filling out the 4473, they went to call the ATF as usual, and he says no you don't need to do that, here is my CCW permit. For those that don't know, in NC, the CCW permit eliminates the need to call the ATF. It also takes the place of pistol permits. You want a firearm on a whim, walk in, pick your gun, put your CCW permit down, and your money and voila. Anyhow, Wal-Mart said they didn't accept the CCW permits. My buddy said keep the gun, went and bought it somewhere else. I used to work there years ago, so the next time I went in, I asked about it. They told me the same thing, so I asked, what gave them the right to deny the law. That got them to talking, and after some 30 minutes, the finally agreed to accept the CCW permits.
Its corporate BS, the don't a bit about guns, its like Ridge says, its all about money and publicity. When they realize it will cost them money, then they'll quit. Loss of firearm sales ain't gonna hurt them. I remember markup was only about 5%. They don't make much off of guns. Its all the other stuff that goes with them where they make the money.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Never bought a gun there. In this town there are a few things that WM is the only place in town. I hate it.
WE do as little there as possible though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
WalMart answered my email within 2 hours of it being sent to the corporate office...they are listening...so everybody that cares, be sure to tell them what you think in a professional manner.

Heres where I sent the email...be sure to select the option to send it to the corporate office. It requires name, address, and email...
http://walmartstores.com/contactus/feedback.aspx
Now there is some good information!

Feedback sent.

·
1911auto Supporters
83 Posts
I will gladly pay an extra quarter for a gallon of milk here and there, if I pay a few more bucks on necessities from other than WalMart I am happy with that. Since I support my local economy and the workers that need their jobs with decent pay. If you dont believe that WM hurts your local economy more than helping, take a look here:

http://walmartwatch.com/pages/wal_marts_negative_impact_on_local_communities/

walmartwatch.com said:
Ruining Rubbermaid. In 1994, Rubbermaid won accolades as the most admired company in the United States -- but five years later, its fortunes fell so hard that the company sold itself to a competitor. When the price of a key component of its products went up, Rubbermaid asked Wal-Mart for a modest price increase -- but Wal-Mart said no, and stopped sales of Rubbermaid products. At a Rubbermaid factory in Wooster, Ohio, that meant the loss of 1,000 jobs. [PBS Frontline, 11/23/04]
walmartwatch.com said:
Low-price mecca asks high prices of local taxpayers:

* Wal-Mart Asks Chicago For $18 Million. In 2002, Wal-Mart began talking to Chicago officials about building a supercenter within the city limits; however, talks faltered after the city balked at the cost. When Wal-Mart asked for $18 million in subsidies, Mayor Richard M. Daley rejected them and quipped, "Am I buying the company?" [Chicago Sun-Times, 7/29/03]
http://www.house.gov/weiner/report37.htm

house.gov said:
Wal-Mart Has Long Depressed Local Commerce by Stifling Competition With “Saturation Strategy.” In a 1993, Iowa State University issued a study concluding that Wal-Mart had a detrimental impact on local commerce. The study found a 3 percent spike in total retail sales in communities immediately after a Wal-Mart opened, but found that over the course of the next several years, retailers’ sales of mens’ and boys’ apparel dropped 44 percent on average, hardware sales fell by 31 percent, and lawn and garden sales fell by 26 percent. A 1994 Congressional Research Service report attributed this decline to Wal-Mart’s use of a “saturation” strategy of opening many stores in a small area to stifle competition. [1993 Iowa State University Wal-Mart Study, Prof. Kenneth Smart; Democratic Staff Report From House Education and Workforce Committee, 2/16/04]
http://www.onwardoregon.org/site/pp.asp?c=ffIOIRMEG&b=1247247

onwardoregon.com said:
While Wal-Mart discourages its employees from using the company health plan, it does encourage them to apply for public assistance, effectively shifting labor costs to the taxpayer. A 2004 University of California study revealed that, even compared to other large retailers, Wal-Mart poses an especially heavy burden on tax payers: Their workers earn 31 percent less and require 39% more in public assistance.
So you basically see savings at the checkout register, but pay the added cost from additional taxes taken from your paycheck each week. Go figure

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wal-Mart in N.Y.C, I wasn't aware that they were there. Are they paying the "family" for protection like so many mom & pop stores. N.Y.C will probably bankrupt them fast with all of their restrictive laws and ordances. I keep all my money out of there stores and finally convinced my wife also.(that was hard) China-Mart can keep their "ole roy" dog food !!!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Thanks for the link, I will leave a response on the Walmart site.

I find this whole thing funny about Walmart putting companies out of business. Walmart is a business and they are good at what they do, selling a product at a very low price. How do they do it? They run their business very efficiently and require their vendors to do the same thing.

Last I checked this is a free market and you are allowed to sell your products at any price you want, unless you would like the GOVERNMENT to step in. :nonono:

Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Kmart, Sportsmans Warehouse, and many more operate the same evil way. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
23 Posts
The last time I entered a Wal Mart was over 3 years ago.. to swipe a price tag so I could compel another megacorp store to match a price. :wink:

I won't get started on those people. They have done more to suck the life out of the American spirit than any other company.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.