1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to give them a try...everybody says they last longer.

I ordered 3 7 round mags for an officers size 1911 (Baer Stinger), with hybrid followers and removable base pads...

Any predictions on how these will work?

I wasn't sure which follower I wanted but went with the hybrid mainly because it has the dimple.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Never heard anything but good about Tripp's. I don't have an Off, but I have an 8 & 10 rd'er. Flawless so far. Only minor complaint is that the top of the feed lips are somewhat sharp and after shooting 200+ rds in competitions, the fingers start to get sensitive. (yup, I'm a sissy). Mag springs are stiff compared to Wolff extra power mag springs I bought to replace all my 8 & 10 rd mags. Tracy

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Mag springs are stiff compared to Wolff extra power mag springs
That was my main reason for trying them...

I'm sure you're aware of my last round feed problem with weak springs...well I fixed the last round problem some time back but now about 1 out of every 100 rounds I get a nosedive on the second round in the mag.

It don't happen often...but I don't want it to happen at all...as I understand it the Tripp mags also seat a little higher in the frame (I know...be sure to check ejector clearance) so the round doesn't hit so low on the feedramp.

I hope they work...if not they will be for sale...used once.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The Gen 1's were frought with problems, but I've yet to see a single report of a stoppage with the Gen II.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Ping...I remember reading about the Gen 1's...

I have high hopes that the Gen II's will work from what I've read...I just like a few opinions.

Tuner speaks very highly of the 8 round Gen II's for the full size guns...but admits he hasn't tested the OM mags...I will post a detailed report after putting them through their paces for a few weeks. I ordered them yesterday so I hope to have them by next weekend...but I don't know.

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
I love the Tripp rebuild kits, so I would imagine their mags are good too.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I use the Tripp 10 round 9mm mags. They are high quality. In a 9mm they are the best I've used, but I've not tried their 45 mags.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I got my mags a day early...they told me Friday.

They look fantastic...they work even better (so far)...I'll post a more detailed report in a little while...with pics.

I have noticed some interesting differences between the Tripp mags and the Wilson mag that I have...most notably...the difference in the feed lips, the Tripps hold on to the round MUCH longer before handing it off the the extractor. Anyway...more to come...

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well...its going to be tomorrow...my dad has my camera...sorry.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
I have one Tripp that I took in a trade. It has served me well. Like handguns, I have never bought a new mag. Got 2 w/ the 1st 1911 I bought from a guy & then bought others left overs after selling the gun or took the whole package.

You will like them

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do like them...

I am going to do a report on them (the best I know how)...but its going to take me a little while, RichD has asked me to co-write an article with him for the e-zine over on M1911 about the officers size Tripp mags. I accepted because Rich is a real good guy IMO...and there is virtually no info out there on the officers mags.

I will post my findings here also.

·
Unemployed
218 Posts
I have several, and they work well.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
A sneak peek at the feed lip differences....The mags are Wilson, Tripp, and Baer (in that order)...notice how much longer the feedlips are on the Tripp mag compared to the Wilson. Also notice how much more abrupt the release is on the Wilson mag...the Tripp mags are just right, they are more abrupt than the "traditional" mags for reliability....but not as abrupt as the Wilson mags, again for reliability...I like them...my gun likes them.

Wilson, Tripp, Baer

Tripp mag tubes are longer...made for 7 rounds instead of 6...but the overall length is the same as a Baer Stinger mag with the base pad. The Wilson mag pictured here has a flush fit base pad.

Again, Wilson Tripp, Baer (viewed from the front).....Viewed from the back in the same order (here you can see the difference)

I hope RichD don't mind me sharing my findings here...but I'm going to make M1911 wait for the article...:wink:

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Looks good so far. I really like the cutout on the rear of the Tripps compared to the Baer's. I only have a total of 3 off size mags. The original that came with my wife's SA V-10, an after market (MecGar), and the Wilson 7 rd'er. None have ever malfunctioned, and the gun has approx 20K + rds thru it. I initially used it (V-10) for my CCW gun (due to paranoia of being "made") and used the Wilson +1 in the gun and carried either of the 6 rd'ers as an extra. Thought about getting one of the 8 rd conversions for my extra mag, but switched over to my fullsize Colt Gunsite shortly after geting my CCW. If I do decide to start carrying the V-10 again, I'd seriously consider the Tripps or a 8 rd conversion. Thanks for your report so far Ridge. Tracy

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
One additional request, Can you post pics of your gun with each mag inserted? Since the Tripps are longer, and this IS one of Baers CCW guns, I wonder how far out the mag body protrudes. I know my Wilson mag is almost flush, and stock mags are flush, but how far down does the Tripp hang? Thanks, Tracy

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
How far down does the Tripp hang? Thanks, Tracy
Exact same amount as the Baer mag...

Tripp

Baer

Wilson

The Tripp mags stick out a little but they more than make up for it IMO...with good old "reliability"...I've put nearly 500 rounds through them so far with several different types of bullets (Gold Dot, Golden Sabre, XTP, FMJ)...0 malfunctions.

They are a 7 round mag...built from the ground up to be a 7 round mag...a longer tube and a higher spring rate (more coils) was all that was needed ...how come it took this long for somebody to figure that out? :smile:

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Glad to see the tripps are working out .. everything i have read says they are the bomb

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
everything i have read says they are the bomb
They are...especially for a 7 round "officers mag"...all the others just try to cram 7 rounds in a 6 round tube...which means they have to cut coils off the mag spring, and that is the cause of at least 95% of the last round feed problems in 7 round officers mags.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
thats the problem you run into with most mags even the wilsons they try to cram 8 into the 7 round tube.. or 7 in the 6 round tube it just is bound to have problems

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.