1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It all started a few years ago when I picked up one of the newly manufactured Colt "competition" 70 series slides as a basis to build something. It's been sitting around waiting for me to figure out what frame I am going to put under it.

A few weeks ago I found a deal on a brand new Dan Wesson takeoff barrel for $50. When I received the barrel I was curious how it would fit so I dropped it in and slid the assembly on my Norinco frame. It seemed really good so I threw an Ed Brown extractor, firing pin, spring and firing pin stop on it and didn't adjust a thing.

Tonight was a pin shoot and I brought it along to try it out. I showed it to one of the guys at the range that has done some 1911 gunsmithing. He thought it looked good so I ran a mag thru it on a paper target to see how it would run. The slide does not have sights on it so I lined the top of the slide with the target the best I could and it ran like a champ. Left to right the shots were very consistent with some vertical stringing and no malfunctions.

I had brought along my Dan Wesson CBOB to shoot but with a round count of 250 lead reloads it was starting to hang up. The chamber was really fouled and so I grabbed the Colt/Norinco to see how it would do.....remember, it has no sights. :biggrin:

I shot a 4.84 with it! My times are typically in the 6 to 7 second frame on a gun with sights and I shot my best time ever with a gun with no sights! When I showed the range officer he started cracking up and asked me if I wanted to borrow his gun since it had sights. :biglaugh:

I declined and ran the gun in the last round for a time of 6.16 because I had to shoot one of the pins again to get it down.

Anyway I thought it was funny and so did the other guys.

I ordered a frame tonight from Fusion and will post results of the build when I get it done.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Not me. I need all the help I can get. Cant shoot that good w/ the sites.:hairpull:

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
:biglaugh:
That's good shootin'. Maybe you should just mill a groove through the top of the slide,like some S&W revolvers.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
some good shooting i would leave the sights off on that one

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts

:biggrin:

Congratulations on some fine shooting, Marshall.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Hey i know that pic .. Wonder where OD got it ?

·
1911auto Supporters
341 Posts
:biglaugh:
That's good shootin'. Maybe you should just mill a groove through the top of the slide,like some S&W revolvers.

From what the OP is saying you may be onto something for him.:biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
I like it, good lookin' pistol, Marshall.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Why order a frame if it shoots as good as it does? Tracy

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why order a frame if it shoots as good as it does? Tracy
Because I borrowed the Norinco frame assy. out from under it's complete slide assy. I either need to put it back or replace it. :smile:

The barrel locks up tight with the Norinco slide but the slide to frame fit is not that great. It's not sloppy but it's definitely not a match fit. I am going for a combat fit and as long as the barrel locks up snug then I will be happy.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
OK. Yea, the frame/ slide fit can rattle---all my Colt's do, It's the fit of the BBL. Tracy

·
Registered
692 Posts
That's pretty good shootin' for just throwin' it together. Something to be said for the design huh?:wink:
Be sure to post pics for us when it's finished - OK?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts