1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally picked up my Ruger LCP last night. I'm at work right now, but will try to post pics in the next day or two. I have not shot it yet, but I'm very impressed with it so far. It will make a handy little carry gun:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Congrats.

I had a kel-tec 9mm but I didn't like the recoil, so I went to a NAA 22mag for my pocket, and a Ruger P89 for jacket carry and ride in the truck.

I shot my brother in law's LCP, and it was manageable, but I like my 22mag.

·
1911auto Supporters
341 Posts
I had to send mine off a couple of days ago because of the recall. But it shot nice I never had any problems out of it at all. The only thing I did was modified a hogue grip to it for a better feel. I also put a Crimson Trace on it because of the little sights on it. But I was happy with it and liked it alot I am looking forward to getting it back.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yah, mine is post recall. The recall is the reason it took so long to order it. I ordered it during the summer I think. At that time I was #8 on the waiting list. When I moved up all the way to #2, the recall happened. Oh well, I'd rather have the improved version anyway. When I first opened it, I couldn't believe it was so tiny. The mags look ridiculously small. I showed it to my wife and she said it was "cute," and looked like a toy. She refers to it as my "funny little gun." I am having a hell of a time finding any .380 ammo right now. No where local has any, and it is the same story online. I found some sweet Buffalo bore 90grn at 1170 or so fps, but after shipping it was $30 for a 20 round box. I don't know that I'm willing to spend that much, but I don't have any suitable carry ammo for it. Does anyone have any suggestions about ammo? I tried Midway, and Cheaper than Dirt.

·
1911auto Supporters
341 Posts
Guess I am fortunate. So far there haven't been any ammo shortage problems here yet. I have two gun stores that I frequent and have not had any problems. The only thing I am having trouble getting are some mags for my AR10

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
Does anyone have any suggestions about ammo? I tried Midway, and Cheaper than Dirt.
do have a Gander Mountain local to you?
their ammo prices are high, but generally are well stocked

Natchez has good price on Federal 380 FMJ

http://www.natchezss.com/Ammo.cfm?c...l American Eagle Centerfire Pistol Cartridges

Cabelas has magtech blue box stuff (FMJ)

I've shot plenty of both Fed and Magtech thru my 380
Magtech is cleaner burning of the two, Fed is a little hotter of the two

I see both places are out stock for Magtech Gold personal defense HP ammo
I have a couple boxes of it on the shelf.
Like all Magtech ammo I've shot, i like it.
Never did any back yard bullet tests to see how the HP performed though

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cap,

Thanks for the suggestions. I finally found a good supply of ammo. The guy who does my transfers for me has a bunch of ammo for sale that I totally forgot about. I called him yesterday and asked if he had any .380 ammo for sale, and I was in luck. He also has a decent supply of other ammo like 7.62x39 that is hard to find right now. Plus, he has very reasonable prices. That guy is a life saver!

I still haven't gotten a chance to shoot the LCP yet, but I'll keep you guys posted. I'm really liking it so far. I'll try to remember to get some pics, but you all know what they look like anyway.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Congrats on the new LCP! That had to be killer to get to #2 on the list right before the recall. Although, like you said it seems to have worked out great because now you have a post recall one.

And finding a good source of ammo is always a great thing...especially nowadays. Let us know how you like it after some range time.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the day off of work today, so I took the LCP and what little .380 ammo I had to the indoor range where I shoot. I had a 50 round box of WinClean 95grn ammo and a 25 round box of Hornady 90grn JHP @ 1000 fps.

I decided that since this little gun definitely isn't a target gun, I'd stick to shootin' at large silhouette type targets. First I loaded up 6 rounds of the Hornady stuff and put the target out at about 7-8 yards. I didn't know what to expect, because I have never fired a .380 before, and never fired a 9 ounce gun before. I put what little front sight there is in center mass and pulled the trigger. The bullet was in the 10 ring and the recoil was much less than expected from a 9 ounce handgun. I began to grin. I had decided that I would be shooting for function and not really for accuracy, so I squeezed off the remaining 5 rounds pretty quickly.

The result was not a great group, but all fatal shots none the less. I moved the target back to 50ft (the longest range at my gun club), and loaded up some Winclean ammo. This ammo kind of scared the hell out of me! The recoil was a bit less than the defensive Hornady rounds, but there was a very large fireball coming out of the pistol with every squeeze of the trigger. With such a small gun ones ahands are pretty close to the muzzle, so I was affraid that it was going to burn my hands. Not the case at all, so I kept shooting.

The gun functioned flawlessly with both types of ammo, and shot minute of bad guy. Perhaps next time I will focus a bit more on the accuracy, as I have read that these little guns are capable of surprising groups for being so small and not really possessing any sights.

After about 50 rounds, the palm of my shooting hand where the heel of my thumb meets the palm began to hurt a bit. This was not bad pain, but more of an annoyance. It is also not really due to hard recoil (the recoil was very manageable), but I believe it to be more a product of such a short and narrow grip.

All in all, I am very pleased so far with this little pocket gun, and so far would recommend it very highly. I am very excited that it functioned flawlessly as seem to be one of those guys who always gets the lemon, and therefore I'm always a bit skepticle that any new gun is going to work correctly on its first trip.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I forgot to mention that I finished up all of the ammo, except 7 rounds of the Hornady stuff. I kept the 7 rounds to keep in the gun. When I got home, I cleaned the gun, but it really wasn't very dirty. Again, I'm very happy so far with my purchase!:biggrin:

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
good to hear, 77

my friend loves his too

I saw one at the gun show a month or so ago.
if it hadn't been so close the Christmas I probably would of bought it.
The price seemed in line from what I've heard they're going for around here
The dude had one left.
he sold 6 that morning. ($330 ea)

I know the sporting shop I frequent had a LONG waiting list too.
The guy showed me the list.
Must of been 50 or more on the list

.L.T.A.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.