1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first HP!
Well, I have bought several guns recently and told myself it was time for a break. Yesterday I was helping my Dad clean some of his new guns before we took them to the range for the first time and I was working with his Browning HP. I was really impressed with the build and feel of it and thought: "this will be my next 9mm". A friend of his called and said that there was a small gun show in town and asked if we wanted to go. I said was game for a quick look and said the only way I would buy something there is if they had a used HP....guess what?

The first table I went to had a used HP with its original box and, instruction booklet, etc. It has definitely seen some use but seemed to be very solid. After getting it home and looking up the serial, it appears to have been made in 1988. He wanted $450 for it and I told myself I would not spend over $400. I looked at every other table and found some Browning replicas used but no other Browning HP. On my way out I asked the lowest the guy could go on the HP and He said $400 and he'd eat the tax. At $400 OTD I have no idea if I got a good deal or not because I am new to world of HPs and only know what the new ones are selling for, but I am very pleased with my purchase.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
looking good

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Very nice, congrats.

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
I'd have bought it too! It looks like a well cared for gun, and you got the box - that is a plus especially with a gun that old.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Very nice, I think you found a great shooter there.

At 400 you got a good deal, you didnt steal it but you definatly didnt overpay either.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I took it to the range today...I couldn't wait.

I brought 150 rounds of ammo, 50 magtech and 100 federal. One of the magazine feed 25 rounds from magtech just fine with now problems. However, the second magazine consistently failed to initiate slide lock back after the final round.

When I moved on to the federal ammo, the first magazine shot pretty well but had a couple of FTEs. The second magazine consistently had failure to feeds along with failing to initiate slide lock back at the end of the magazine.

I am assuming that these 20 year old magazines likely need some attention (and maybe just need to be replaced). Any other ideas as to what might need to be tended to?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Sounds like mags for sure and maybe replace the springs recoil main etc

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I ordered their kit with springs for the HP. Any tips on where to get new mags for the HP? They are pretty expensive from Browning.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Midwayusa or brownells.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Sorry Zack didnt know you carried HP mags or i would have pointed there

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
If you have to have them now, for more money than Zack is asking, you can buy directly from Mec-Gar.
They also so have the original 13 round mags.

http://www.mec-gar.com/browning.html

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am assuming that these 20 year old magazines likely need some attention (and maybe just need to be replaced). Any other ideas as to what might need to be tended to?
The new mag springs will likely help. Also chck a couple of things that may be gunked up with 20 years of dried oil/grease:

-The pivoting extractor can get dirty easily, and then stick. This can cause some feeding trouble if it sticks inward, and ejection if it sticks outward. It needs to move freely. You might be able to work some oil or solvent in there without disassembling.

-Less probable, but still possible, especially if it has sat idle for a while:
The recoil spring guide has an internal spring and detent that bears against the slide stop and gives the slide stop a little downward pressure. If that gets crudded up inside, it will give too much resistence to the slide stop. With the slide locked FULLY back for takedown (by the snapping the thumb safety up into the forward notch) the slide stop should move easily, but be spring-loaded down. If the slide stop doesn't move easily, you mght try to work some oil or solvent down into the guide to make sure things are loosened up.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I ordered a new set of springs from wolf and some mec-gar magazines. They have both arrived and now I am going to replace the springs. The wolf package comes with quite a few springs (some of which I honestly don't know what they are). The 20 year old instruction manual leaves a lot to be desired. Does anyone have a tip on an online source with clearer instructions/pictures for me to follow when I disassemble/clean and then swap out springs?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts