1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goodmorning I just bought a 4 1/2 in bull barrel Kimber carry pro. I had a hell of a time replacing the recoil spring last night. I did it ,:confused:but there must be some trick to compress the spring back enough to insert the paper clip in the hole with out having the plug go flying accross the room. what do you guys do?

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Put the horseshoe end of the guide rod against the door facing that wife does not mind getting mared. (garauge, shop, maybe a wood post that WILL NOT MOVE.) Plug over the spring & I can grip it good enough to push against the door facing & get it down far enough to insert the paperclip.

The door facing being wood will grip & not let the guide rod slip like on a metal serface. Make sure the horseshoe is up when you put the clip in the hole or when you turn it all over to reassemble the top end, the clip will be on the wrong side & you cannot get it out.

Others may have a better way & if so I will learn too.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Pro Carry is a 4" barrel. If you ordered a spring for a Commander, it won't work.

When I change the springs in my Pro and Compact, I simply drop the plug in the slide, slip the spring on the rod, drop it into place, and push forward with my thumb. I have the pin ready to insert. Others have told me they can't do it, guess I must have really strong thumbs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts