1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I"ll step up and be the 1st:

I just put together a 10/22 from parts that i bought and won from a IDPA Championship in Prado, and a GreenMountian .920 Barrel, and always comes up ""How many rounds do I shoot to break in the New barrel (if I need to) or what is the round count before you should clean the breach and barrel..??
Some say thaey never clean the barrel...

Gary.:plugears:

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
I shoot rimfires also and I clean my barrel after about every 200 rounds, Just with Hoppes#9 and a Jag and cloth. You should never really use wire brushes in the barrel it will wear it down quicker. That is what a Match shooter told me and ever since i have calmed down

·
Registered
49 Posts
I occasionally clean my .22's, but don't do it on any set schedule. Don't know why I look at .22's different from center-fires, but I do. I clean my CF's after every range session, regardless of how many rounds fired. :biggrin:

·
Registered
394 Posts
I`ve had my Ruger 10-22 for 37 years now and have cleaned the bore maybe a dozen times in it`s life. I TRULY know that is neglect...but the darned thing is as accurate today as it was when new. And I can`t begin to count the 10s of thousands of rounds that have been thru it. I had a lot of fun with it when I was a kid...I`d shoot a brick nearly every weekend:biggrin:

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
after about a brick or 2 i clean my 22's

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I heard some guys find those really .22 hot loads and at the last session put a mag through it and say ''IT Clean Know'' and put away.....

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
A hot load is the 30 grain bullets from Mexico, they are hot but also have nay misfires and not accurate. I would recommend 40 grain solid Federal Auto Match myself which is what I use.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I shoot a 22 Suhl 150 rifle in monthly competitions and have not cleaned the barrel in 7 years. I do clean the action once in a while though.

I also shoot a S&W 41 in Bullseye matches every winter and I also have never cleaned that barrel and I've owned that gun for 3 years.

Of course, I treat my centerfire rifles and pistols a little differently.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I clean the barrel after each shooting trip. I only use a wire brush if the jagged patch doesn't clean it out easily. The reason for "each trip" is because for a .22 I put a lot of rounds through them when I go out and also because it is frequently a long time before I will take it back out again.

·
Forum Supporter
141 Posts
I always run a bore snake with break free on the leading end through my rimfires. I will really scrub the barrels about once a year.

I will detail strip the action every other shoot though.

Zen and the art of firearm maintenance...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts