Banned
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Bowling Pin shooting Matches is one of my favorite type match's
I know Bud also shoots Pins and was wondering if any others do?:shades

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I have shot them but only a few Times due to the the place that hosts them rigging the deal .. long story but funny its always a employee that wins though DQ's

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
You mean pin as in straight pin!!!:rofl::rofl:

Really, I have never shot bowling pins before but it looks like a lot of fun!!

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am having a internet problems tonight bad, but i will try and stay on. I shoot them still once a month. I shoot both the .45 striaght 5 tables and .22 tables my avg. speed on a table is 5.5 seconds. If we didn't have so many good shooters here I would take first place more often lol.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Are there any videos that you know of regarding pin shooting?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Thanks for the links!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've done it, but it's been a while.
I thought I was pretty decent with a pistol until I shot my first BP match.

AutoMag- You really should try it, and bring an AutoMag.
I used to take one of mine and shoot at least one "round" with it. I don't know why, but even though the .44 Mag revolver shooters should have had near-identical results, the AM seemed to take the pins off the table cleaner than anything. Strange thing.
My problem was- I was using a relatively light load of W296 at the time (the lowest charge that would cycle the gun) and it burned pretty poorly at the lower charge weights. The powder granules it left behind, combined with the oil, left a paste that gummed the gun up to the point Iw as getting a lot of malfunctions after three or four mags.
Otherwise, I would have shot the whole match with it.
This was about 1994 or 95, before I tried any of the powder blaster-type spray cleaner which may have made things more "workable" if I had given it a squirt and re-lube now and then.

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A 44mag would be great but speed is the key in Pin Shooting. I use Hollow points because they avoid spinners. I also load them hot for Pins.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
When work doesn't get in the way :)mad::mad:), I shoot pins once a month. When I lived in Md, I'd shoot pins 3-4 times a month. I actually saw one laugh at me--(only pin shooters will understand this:wink:). When I was shooting consistantly each month, I was a occasional hi 2sec shooter, but usually low to high 3's. Now that my eyes have told me I'm not in my 30's anymore, I'm in the mid-5's. Tracy

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tracey I am in my late 50's and clear a table in about 5.5 seconds on the avg. Yet being a Diabetic plays hell on my eyes at times. You were clearing them Pins fast!

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Recon,

My gun of choice was a SA 6" Longslide shooting 255 lswc w/4.5 gr Unique. Pins are a lot of "muscle memory" and timing. When I was in practice of shooting pins often, It was almost like being able to shoot them with my eyes closed. As soon as your site hits the first pin, it was a ryhthem thing. My fastest was a 2.13 and that day I was just "on". I had a 2.33 2.45, 2.50 & a 2.40ish to round out my times. My rythem usually kept me in the mid-high 3's at that time of my pin shooting. Tracy

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Always try and be one of the first shooters too Tracey, the pins get pretty ragged after a while. I alos only focus on the first pin and aim for the "sweet spot" right under the red diamond!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Just a question for all you pin shooters!! How would a 9MM Longslide pistol work for pin shooting??? Recoil would be less for maybe a quicker "back on target" follow up shot.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Never played with or owned a 9mm, but in general for pins, you want the heaviest bullet in that caliber. There are those that swear by the light fast bullet theory, but pins don't know anything about theory's. They just know you have to hit them hard with something big. I've used both light 185's moving out at max +P loads and med to heavy recipe's for 255's and regardless of charge(within reason-not bullseye type loads), heavy bullets did better.

Automag, Any help that you can give a 9mm in pinshooting will be a plus. I used to shoot with a guy that cast his own 9's and had a mold for 160 gr 9mm bullets. Shot with him for about 3 yrs. Never beat him. Fastest guy I ever shot with could regularly shoot in the hi 1's. Best I saw him shoot with a Les Baer 38Super (USPSA open gun) was a 1.65. His worst I ever saw was a 2.75. We set up 15-20 pins across the back of the table for kicks to see how fast he could shoot and it was under 5 secs. The first pin was just on the ground as he hit the last pin. Looked like "the wave" (or dominos) in a stadium. When he shot his 1.165, his dad asked what he did different to shoot THAT much faster than his normal, and he said he didn't wait to see if he hit each pin. Tracy

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Tracy, that is what I was thinking that the 9 would be a little light for pin shooting. I can remember many years ago shooting at a bowling pin with my 9MM, 45ACP and my 10MM. I cannot remember the range but I can remember the 9MM just knocking the pin over, the 45ACP knocking it over pretty quick and the 10MM knocking it over and quite aways back.

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tracey has a good point in what was wrote there. You need a heavy bullet that is why I suggested the .147 grain, I was not sure if you reload or not. +P+ is a plus using a 9mm.1.165 is an outstanding speed a 5 pin straight table or tier tables.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts