1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would...I've been retired since Jan 03. The longer I'm out, the more I miss working with professionals who have some depth of character.

I'm tired of working with people who are only motivated by money and who can't be trusted.

I'm not saying that all civilians are like that...but far too many are. The problem is, the one's who are are the ones who are respected and some times even revered for being that way...end justifies the means...I'm sick of it.

Trouble is I'm to old and fat...or they think I am anyway...I think I can still put some younguns in their place...

Sound off G.I.'s:flag::plugears::biggrin:

VR,
Harold

·
Registered
151 Posts
I can't say that I would go back at this time. I do understand your reasoning for wanting to go back but I don't know if I would. I have been retired since Oct '08 and it was the right thing to do at the time for me and my family. I have been away too much in the last 20 years and my kids are at an age where they really need both parents around. My thoughts may change, however, in the next 10 years. I would do it all over again and not change a thing if I turn back time to when I was 18 but like I said, it was time for me to move on and try to make a life outside the military. I do miss working with the professionals that I was surrounded with while in the military and the comraderie though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oorah!

I would go back in a heart beat. :flag:

On the Saturday night following 9/11/2001 I was at dinner with a retired Air Force Col., and the father of my close friend, USMC in WW II, landed on Guadalcanal as a raider, got a commision and later did the recon of the landing beaches on Iwo, and when the war ended he was on a Sub going to do the initial recon of one of the landing beaches in Japan proper. My buddy, USMC and now a quadraplegic, and myself, USMC 10 years with two tours in Vietnam with the 3rd Marine Division.

Everyone of us would have gone in a heart beat, no questions. Of course everyone of us would have hurt the mission more than helped but the spirit was willing, the flesh was old.

Go figure.

Fred

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was medically retired well before I wanted to get out of the Navy. If I could go back I would do so in a heartbeat. No doubt about it.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Me too. Mirando

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'd go back, but I'd change from boats to jets. My cousin and a good friend both retired as F-14 pilots, I figure that all I have to do is push the "Do Not Crash" and "No Blackout" buttons and Uncle would slide me into a sleek F-22. :flag:

Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the truly deciding factor in any thinking of returning to active duty - must be the potential for call up to service against armed US civilians and what our response would be then. I know I couldn't perform in that mission line - so won't even be thinking of returning any time soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would go back tommorrow if I could.

I find myself thinking about havana in the fall of 1955 and the good times we had before the beard.All I have now is memories.Iam reading a book about the lone surviver seal in afganistan.I thought I went to boot camp.It was a sundayschool picnic compared to the seal trainning.Those guys are tough.Old Navy

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got out 35 years ago today. Never retired, but should have. Looking back, those 5 1/2 years I spent in the Marine Corps were the best years of my life. The men I was with were the best I've ever been with. There were very few after I got out that I'd trust my life with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
On 8/12/09 I will have been out 39 years. I'd go back in a heartbeat. I didn't know it then but I was with the best individuals in the world, United States Marines. I knew we were the best but I didn't realize how screwed up many of the others are. :flag:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I retired in November 2008 after 28 years of service. First got out I landed a job running two departments for a solar company, working with that group made me wish I had never left the service and I would have gone back in a heartbeat.

Now I'm working as an investigator for the government (made a lousy civilian I guess) and the group I work with embodies many of the same attributes we recall from our service days. That makes a huge difference in the work day. So given that, I have to say I have served and am now out of the loop, out of touch, and most likely not as proficient as I once was. I'll leave it all to the young, flat bellied stallions serving now and will wait until they are desperate enough to come calling.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are certainly days when I regret retiring when I did. It was a great thing to know that you were doing something that was making a difference.

·
1911 Forum Supporter
21 Posts
I'd go back. Give me new eyeglasses, a good spotter, and a new Barrett, put me on top the hill and let me go to work!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would...I've been retired since Jan 03. The longer I'm out, the more I miss working with professionals who have some depth of character.

Sound off G.I.'s:flag::plugears::biggrin:

VR,
Harold
Ditto.... not that I regret my retirement, but I'd go back. Just short of 24 years, I needed a change, I've had it for a few years now and I'm happy. Having this time since my retirement could be enough for me to finish out another 6 or so in the Air Force (cause they make you leave after 30, yes?). I see why a lot of people get out after their first hitch, try the civilian thing for a while, then end up back in the military.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would go back in a second!
I'm too old and out of shape to do the combat thing again, but I'm sure that I could fill in a support position to help out the front liners!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Been in the LE world since '87, and hopefully will pull the plug at the end of the year.

The justice system is a joke, so am done with this...but would serve with you guys anywhere in the world!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.