1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Nice, I assume you are referring to uncooked rice correct? The mixed soups cook the rice?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yes, you start with uncooked rice. Edited original post to make it clearer.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
This reminds me of when I was a kid Cap. We grew up po and shot a lot of what we ate (deer, squirrels, rabbits), a lot of the rest came out of the garden and "commodities". The policy was shoot anything we would eat but don't shoot it unless it was to eat. I shot a duck off the pond when I was in grade school and my grandmother cooked it up, baked it. I have never even pointed a gun at a duck since.

you guys like my recipe, I see :rofl:

first, I'm not a big fan of eating salmon or trout in general.
Give me walleye, perch or pan fish and I'll eat 'em til I bust

second, there's a big difference in the taste of ocean run steel and salmon that CoperKnight would be familar with, compared to Lake Erie run steel and salmon which aren't quite as pallitable.

I hear you just have to "know how to cook'em"

To me, that's code speak for,

"the flesh tastes like CRAP and you need to know how to BURY it in smoke, and/or spices and seasoning":biglaugh:

I found Canada Goose to be similar.
Years ago, I was determined to cook a goose for Thanksgiving.
SOOO, I popped one, cleaned and dressed it and baked it in the oven.
I sliced a piece of the breast off and had my first bite of goose.
That was the first and LAST goose I ever hunted.

They'll forever be "sky carp" to me now:biggrin:

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
14 Posts
First of all, I am a mom of 3 (2 of which are still under 3) so quick meals are my BEST friend....

Here is a marinade that I have used countless times...

1 cup beef stock
1/4 cup A1 steak sauce
1 tsp ground black peppercorn
1 tsp salt

Put all ingredients in a ziploc bag, seal and shake to mix. Put steaks, chicken or pork in, seal the bag and refrigerate (turning every hour) for 5-6 hours. Cook to taste. Do not puncture the meat until ready to eat. If you do, the juices will all drain out.

Steamed Green Beans w/ onions

3-4 handfuls of fresh green beans (with ends snipped off)
1/4 cup of fresh chopped onions
1 tsp garlic salt
2 tbsp olive oil

Put green beans and olive oil into a gallon sized ziploc bag or "steaming bag", seal and shake well. Unseal and put the rest of the ingredients in, seal and shake to coat evenly. If using a ziploc bag...lay the bag on it's side and while keeping the bag sealed, poke 4 small holes in the bag for steam release. Place in the microwave for 2-3 minutes or longer if you don't like your beans crisp. Be careful when removing from the microwave. It's very hot and the oils can escape from the holes.

Salmon Patties

2 cans of Pink Salmon
1/2 cup bread crumbs (seasoned or not)
2 medium or large eggs

Open and drain water off the salmon. Place all ingredients into a big bowl and mix with hands. Shape in to "burger patties" and fry in a skillet with no oil until golden brown on each side. Warning: Salmon in a can usually contains fish bones. They are edible but could be dangerous for small children

Apple Salad

6 apples peeled and cut into 1/2" pieces
1/2c Miracle Whip
20 Marachino Cherries (chopped)
2 cups of Cool whip or Dream whip
1/8c walnuts

Wash, peel and slice apples (granny smith apples are usually juicier), place in a bowl and add all other ingredients, mix well and refrigerate leftovers.

I hope all of those have helped. Like I said before, I try to make healthy foods but quick foods.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.