1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I used to be able to cook pretty decently growing up in a southern household with an amazing from scratch cook, my grandmother. My mother learned from her and is also an excellent cook.

That being said my wife is also an amazing cook who uses no recipes nor measures anything, but she cooks mexican and does not like most of what I could make. Over the years she has become THE cook as she never likes my stuff. I do the grill cooking and a few things she likes that I make.

I got kind of reduced to making quick stuff for the kids when necessary. I will share a couple of the quickies, that are really nothing great, but the kids liked them.

Roll a weenie in a flour tortilla and fry it. They loved these and dipped them in catsup, mustard or whatever. I liked them as they are easy.

Take a pie filling, like apple, and fold it into a flour tortilla like a burrito. You can fry it not completely crispy, but still cooked, and drizzle it with a milk/powdered sugar glaze for a sweet burrito or deep fry it crispy like a chimichanga, put a couple scoops of ice cream, whipped cream, nuts, chocolate syrup or honey and it's a good easy desert.

These were both favorites, but easy for me.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
This reminds me of when I was a kid Cap. We grew up po and shot a lot of what we ate (deer, squirrels, rabbits), a lot of the rest came out of the garden and "commodities". The policy was shoot anything we would eat but don't shoot it unless it was to eat. I shot a duck off the pond when I was in grade school and my grandmother cooked it up, baked it. I have never even pointed a gun at a duck since.

you guys like my recipe, I see :rofl:

first, I'm not a big fan of eating salmon or trout in general.
Give me walleye, perch or pan fish and I'll eat 'em til I bust

second, there's a big difference in the taste of ocean run steel and salmon that CoperKnight would be familar with, compared to Lake Erie run steel and salmon which aren't quite as pallitable.

I hear you just have to "know how to cook'em"

To me, that's code speak for,

"the flesh tastes like CRAP and you need to know how to BURY it in smoke, and/or spices and seasoning":biglaugh:

I found Canada Goose to be similar.
Years ago, I was determined to cook a goose for Thanksgiving.
SOOO, I popped one, cleaned and dressed it and baked it in the oven.
I sliced a piece of the breast off and had my first bite of goose.
That was the first and LAST goose I ever hunted.

They'll forever be "sky carp" to me now:biggrin:

..L.T.A.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.