1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I'm curious as to how some of you may have modified your RIAs. What I'm looking for is a good, high quality source for making my RIA even more accurate and reliable. I've changed my guide rod to FLGR and now use a Wilson's Combat 18.5# spring. I also added a Wilson's Competition Match trigger and checkered mainspring, also from Wilson's. Shoots and handles great! About seven hundred fifty rounds through and not "1" failure of any kind.

Oh yeah, photos would be great as always!:smile:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mine is a box stock Tactical .45

Every time I think of changing something, I just can't justify it as the gun is perfect. Never a hiccup or jam ever. Shoots straight and tight.

The only mod I might make is the safety is a bit to easy to click off, might make it a bit stiffer, that is all though...

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Only Grips for now on mine but i'll do some mods soon

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only Grips for now on mine...
My grips didn't stay on past the first ten minutes I got it home! LOL
Honestly I thought the grips were just too darn nice for the use I was about to throw at it. Hogue wrap around went on ASAP. I'm looking at G10 grips from Strider next.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
The Grips on mine were faIrly ugly and rough .. but for under 270$ what did i expect

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
Other than cosmetics, like grips, Duracoat and some stainless controls, the only thing I felt was/are "needed" on my GI were beavertail grip safety (BTGS) and sights.

I knew I needed a BTGS after the first 50 rnds.
The stock GS was too sharp on the edges.
Even after knocking the edges off and smoothing, the GS was still uncomfortable.
I installed a Wilson hi-ride BTGS soon after I got my Rock.

Haven't put sights on yet.
Just been tinkering around with fluoresant paints in different colors and configs
most recently I opened the rear notch several thousandths.

Accuracy and reliablity are on the money.

I'll do other mods down the road
That's why i bought my Rocks (my second and third 1911s)
To intimatly learn the platform and take my baby steps with mods.

But other than sights and BTGS, she's a fine shooter just the way she is

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Im Thinking a Beavertail grip safety new trigger parts and thats it for mine .. Some time coming this next year

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
It will look great Bud!!!:smile::smile:

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Im thinking stainless Controls and Magwell to hard to match the Parkarizing(sp)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the compliments. I have another RIA GI that hasn't been shot, I will keep stock but this is the one gun I shoot the most. I also have the Tactical and Target models, all shoot great.

Have a Great Christmas everyone.

TM

·
Registered
8 Posts

1. Wilson Beavertail (Brownells)
2. Commander Hammer (Brownells)
3. Grips (ebay)
4. Three dot sights (Brownells)
5. Adjustable trigger (Brownells)
6. Hex head grip screws, changed to black since photo, (Brownells)

Next: Upgraded internals (Brownells)

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
That is a good lookin' Rock, Pakin

seems we like the same look
(though all the shinny bling doesn't show as well in my pic)

sights are the olny thing left I "need" on mine.
Curious of you guys who changed yours, did the replacement sights fit the dove tail, or were mods made to the fit them?

Thnks

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cap,

I made the changes myself. I purchased the staking tool from Brownells and the PSI sights TTF45CT come with the narrow tennon front sight. No mods to the slide needed. Not really that hard to do if you have the proper tool.

exMSgt,

That's a nice clean look there.

TM

·
Registered
8 Posts
sights are the olny thing left I "need" on mine.
Curious of you guys who changed yours, did the replacement sights fit the dove tail, or were mods made to the fit them?

Thnks

..L.T.A.
I did what Pakn1911 did, did it myself with the Brownells' tool. A couple of recommendations if you proceed in that direction. Get yourself a drill press vice. You can get one from harbor freight cheap. You'll need this to hold the slide when you peen the front sight in. I did without and it was a PITA. Second, take your time with the rear sight. I filed and fit over and over until I liked the way it went in. Not hard, just tedious. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts