1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You can find this easily for MOST states...by simply searching for the states "official website"...for example...to search for Tennessee, you would type "Tennessee reciprocity" in the search bar on your browser, click the search tab...then you may or may not have to read a little to find the correct site...it should have the state name or abbreviation and will likely have ".gov" in the address somewhere (<<<most do...some don't). If you have any problems...let me know, in a reply on this thread, I'll help if I can.

There are other sites that also have this info...but...by going to the "official" website of the state, you're going to get accurate, up to date info.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're very welcome...

I thought I'd "sticky" it since it is usually a commonly asked question...and some of the "other" sites are not always accurate and up to date.

I'm an OTR truck driver and I can't afford inaccurate 2nd hand reciprocity info.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
www.handgunlaw.us is a good place to start. It pretty much tells you, and then it gives the links to each and every states' statutes so that you can research it yourself

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Handgunlaw.us is a good replacement for packing.org...

But I am constantly traveling in the lower 48 states (right now I'm in Salina, KS) and maybe its just me, but I'm more comfortable going by the "official" sites info. If I needed to inform a LEO on the side of the road (and it has happened that way)...they will generally accept it coming from an "official" site.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
You are one hundred percent correct Ridge, what I do like about handgunlaw.us tho is that they have links to every states' official website where you can find the general statutes for that state. Packing.org had it too, but was hard to find sometimes.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they have links to every states' official website where you can find the general statutes for that states.
I didn't find those there...but I may not have looked in the right place.
I did find some "official" looking PDF. documents on each states laws...but those documents would have to be updated regularly...and I'm not saying that they are not...just that its not "live" info.

That why I did this thread...if a person searches the way I suggested...they go straight to a page written in plain English with the info they are searching for.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Yep, its good to get the actual laws, I'll look again and see if I can find the link. It may be gone now, and substituted with the PDF files.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can find this easily for MOST states...by simply searching for the states "official website"...for example...to search for Tennessee, you would type "Tennessee reciprocity" in the search bar on your browser, click the search tab...then you may or may not have to read a little to find the correct site...it should have the state name or abbreviation and will likely have ".gov" in the address somewhere (<<<most do...some don't). If you have any problems...let me know, in a reply on this thread, I'll help if I can.

There are other sites that also have this info...but...by going to the "official" website of the state, you're going to get accurate, up to date info.
Great advice. Might I suggest that you go so far as to go the the "official" site (State Attorney General) of the state that you are going to PRINT a copy of the page that states that you have reciprocity. It can greatly assist you in the event you are confronted. Many LEOs have no idea what states have reciprocity with thier home state.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good point...and good advice.

I didn't think of it because I ALWAYS have my laptop...and can connect to the Internet by tethering to my cell phone.

·
Unemployed
218 Posts
Good deal, Ridge. I agree that the official site will be the best source. Handgunlaw is a quick way to get decent information on multiple states, but it's always a good idea to confirm on each state's official site.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Good point...and good advice.

I didn't think of it because I ALWAYS have my laptop...and can connect to the Internet by tethering to my cell phone.
OOOOO High Tech *******. We just got cell phones a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OOOOO High Tech *******. We just got cell phones a few years ago.
:shades: Yep...both the cell phone and the laptop have made this job MUCH easier than it used to be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
www.handgunlaw.us is a good place to start. It pretty much tells you, and then it gives the links to each and every states' statutes so that you can research it yourself
This is a great site, but some of us do not travel with laptops. anyone have an equivilant site that will work with smart phones or an app. I use Legalheat now, but would like to have another source.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.