1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would just like to state that I am not in the "it must be a forged frame to handle 10mm" camp.

There seems to be a lot of 10mm shooters around here and many of them have 10mm 1911s. Most of them Kimbers and some Delta owners. Most of the time when I ask them why they chose the Kimber over the Dan Wesson they tell me the Kimber has a forged frame and the Dan Wesson has a cast frame. They then go on to tell me that they wanted the "longer lasting" forged frame of the Kimber.

The only 10mm 1911 frames that I am aware of having a breakage issues were early FORGED Colt Delta Elite frames.

So, I am wondering how are the Dan Wesson RZ-10 or PM7 10mm frames holding up. Are there any with extrremely high round counts still in fantastic shape? Any know breaking points in these cast frames? Are they holding up to the mighty 10mm?

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I personally would not worry about their cast frames, the valor has a forged one but it's not 10mm. Keith has stated it costs 100 more to use a forged frame. I had a 10mm cbob but no longer have it. I will state here about colts early delta issues also:

The cracking on the early colts was the small piece above the slide stop. Even when it cracked it could be fixed by cutting that piece out and in fact colt fixed it by leaving that piece out and to this day leave it out on all their 1911's. It did not crack because of bad manufacturing, but because it was a small, thin piece in a stress area.......that was not needed. It would have cracked anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
No, the cbob's and pointman's are not forged frame, they are cast. The valor has a forged frame and I'm guessing ther ssc or whatever it's called.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.