1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The press (Dillon 650) stopped cold, I couldn't rotate the shell plate. I thought it was a primer not seated all the way or case stuck. But no, the problem was a primer that was not pushed out of the primer pocket. The depriming pin seems to have pushed the top off of the cup, leaving it partially attached. I'm glad it did stay attached because at the next station I would have tried to shove a new primer into the primer pocket that has the outer part of the cup still in it. Here are two pictures of what I'm talking about. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Thin primer cups??? Too thin...

·
Registered
13 Posts
One reason why I do NOT reload military-crimped brass. :nonono:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ironically, Primers, I just had almost the same problem this evening not two hours after reading of your incident. In my case, my Hornady Pro-jector didn't seem to want to go all the way down to seat a new primer. It felt like the old one hadn't ejected.

When I pulled the case off the shell plate and looked, the entire bottom of the primer was gone leaving a pretty golden ring of metal around the inside of the primer pocket. In your case, it was a crimped military case. I was reloading Winchester White Box brass headstamped "Winchester 45 ACP."

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brolin, the brass I was using may have been military surplus but it was not new, that case had been reloaded by me several times. Primers can sure play tricks on you if you're not paying attention.

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
8 Posts
Over 30+ years of reloading everything I have ever shot..I have had this happen 4 times. I never found a real reason for it..I just assume it was a thin cup.
If I had to guess I would say it spanned a good 5 years between incidents, so I would not worry about it too much. I dont recall it happening to a certain brand of primers, or even one size. It happened twice with 22-250 cases, and once each with .45 and .38. None of which were hot loads. Things just happen sometimes I guess.
Good luck to you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.