1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

i bought a used P16.40 Limited from a former USPSA shooter. He did some upgrades to it himself, and when I test fired it, I had no issues.

Now, however, I do. I am having failure-to-feed issues. It seems that when the slide strips the next round off the magazine, the round is running straight into the feed ramp and jamming. It doesn't stove-pipe upwards, or anything. It just moves straightforward and jams.

it came with STI mag's for the gun, but they weren't correct because when you slammed them home they would ride above the ejector! You had to ease them into the magwell and seat them gently...not for me when I'm trying to run through an IPSC/USPSA stage!

So, I ordered NEW para-ordnance magazines thinking it was a mag issue, and I still have the same problem. I also ordered Dawson Magazine followers and extra power magazine springs and that didn't help.

This problem still persists, and it's bugging me now.

When I bought the gun, it came with .40 S&W ammo that was loaded to an Overall Length (OAL) of 1.20". Factory is only 1.125" and I reload my rounds to 1.128 - 1.130" OAL. I tried the gun with the supplied ammo, factory ammo, and my reloads.....all had issues.

anyone have any ideas or can suggest a good Para gunsmith? I live in Southwest Connecticut.

Thanks,
Z-

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
If you had not tried different mags I would say it sounds like a mag issue.

What does the ramp look like? I would try poilishing the ramp and see what happens. If it's too rough or has been coated it can jam like that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you had not tried different mags I would say it sounds like a mag issue.

What does the ramp look like? I would try poilishing the ramp and see what happens. If it's too rough or has been coated it can jam like that.
I tried the STI mag's that came with it, and ordered 4 new mags direct from Para. The one's from Para seemed to work OK, but I still get the intermittent failure-to-feed. I polished up the feed ramp already, but could hit that again and see if it'll make any difference.

last time out, 3 of the 4 mag's seemed to work OK, with only a few failure-to-feeds. One mag had a heck of a time.

seperate note....saw a pic of your hand holding a pistol & saw your signature line....Sr Chief Bos'n Mate or Master Chief??

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I did 12 years, was a 1st class. I managed to go between e-3 and e-4 several times so e-6 took a while.:)

I would hit the ramp real good with polish or very fine steel wool. Get it nice and slick without taking it down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did 12 years, was a 1st class. I managed to go between e-3 and e-4 several times so e-6 took a while.:)

I would hit the ramp real good with polish or very fine steel wool. Get it nice and slick without taking it down.
I'll give that a shot. Thanks Jerry. Also, Thanks for serving. Personally, I like the guys that took awhile to get to E-6. The one's that breeze on up usually have a particular "odorous air" about them. :)

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Haha, thanks.

I'm guessing you served also to know what the tatoo was, thank you for youor service also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.