1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this 1911-A1 for Christmas brand-new from Classic Arms. When I bought it, I put a box through it, and it jammed a number of times. I was told that that was just break-in, and to not be worried.

I have put a little over 200 down the pipe now, and it is jamming as bad as ever, if not worse. Sometimes it will jam 3 times in a single magazine. BTW, I am using Winchester white box ammunition.

The mag I am using with it is the Novak that originally came with it, and I have heard that they are very good mags.

I tried to cure the problem by swapping out from the stock 16lb. recoil spring to a 18.5lb. Wolff spring. Now it is not jamming, but it is smashing the bullet deeper into the case. I will put a pic of the jam (I think it is called a 3-point jam), and a pic of on of the "smashed deeper) rounds below.

Any insight as how to solve the problem would be most helpful.

Is it still safe to fire the round?

Pic of the reoccuring jam:

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Extractor too tight?

Remove the slide...put a round under the extractor...it should have only a "very small amount" of resistance to slip right under the hook...

If its too tight...remove the extractor and bend it out a little...

EDIT: I forgot...put the 16# spring back in it. And that round "PROBABLY" wouldn't hurt anything...but I'd trash it, fingers are more expensive than ammo.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
put the 16# back in check the extractor and check the roughness of the breech face and try a wilson mag

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I am new to 1911s, and they are already very intresting. I will bend the extractor out a bit, test it, and report back. Again, I appreciate all of your help!:notworthy:

I will throw the affected rounds in my brass box for pulling and reloading when I get some equipment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I swapped back out to the #16, bent the extractor a bit, and I took it to the range yesterday. It now is flawless.

I will keep the #18.5 for when I start reloading and work up a nice SD load.

Thank you all very much for the help!:notworthy:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Jimmy, aren't these guys on the forum great!!!!!:smile:

As stated trash that round and put the 16# spring back in. As you can see by the round the 18# spring only compounded the problem!!!:whistle:

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Good Deal that its working for you ..check out the gunsmith section there are a couple sticky's there that have some good info

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Glad we could help...thats what we're here for...to learn and pass on what we have learned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts