1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help educate me as to what the differences in frames are.

I've browsed Brownells 1911 catalog many times and see several to choose from.

I understand the different options like cuts, checkering, light rail, etc available.

more interested in what makes one or the other "good, better, best" class

What "in general" are the differences between a Caspian and Essex frame and slide?
Les Bear ?
STI?
etc

In your opinion, who makes the best frame and slide?
( the Mercedes/Lexus class)

Who makes the good frame/slides
(Ford, Chevy, Honda, Toyota class)

Who makes the least desirable?
(Yugo class)

any info/guidance would be greatly appreciated

..L.T.A.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Caspian= good Most custom builders use caspian
essex=bad yugo class

Baer very good

Fusion has very food stuff and you can order it at any stage, example slide/frame mated, beavertail cut etc. Fusion has choice of forged or cast frame and I would say as good as any of them.

Caspian you can order the same way, cast frames. Their frames are excellent, just something one should know.

Personal opinion I would probably order slide and frame from Bob at fusion, in fact I hope to at some point, pro series. I have a fusion bobtail and the frame to slide fit is amazing. I have seen nothing better. I get no kickbacks from Bob, :)

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jerry

actually I saw a new Fusion for the first time a couple/three/four(?) months ago.

My shooting pard (with FFL) ordered it to sell to a guy that wanted one.

if I recall right, it was a 10mm long slide.
(if Bob reads here, it was shipped to my shooting pard in Windham Ohio)

at any rate, I don't know the difference in a hi-end frame and low end frame.
I've read debates on cast vs forged.
I'm leaning toward forged, but really don't know if one is all that much better than another as a practical matter

I ASSume they're all CNC machined, so holes and cuts "should" be correct on any of them, no?

..L.T.A.

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
Stay leaning toward Forged it is the right direction. Castings for the most part are never
come close to a forging. All pistols now a days are cnc machined and CMM checked, with a printed readout showing if it is in specs or out. Then it is sent to Engineering for a decision to be made, if they should continue with it or scrap it out or handle it different.

Les Baers frame and Slides are Forged and I feel are the best out there in my opinion.
I Know Dan Wessons but when this site first started out I started to buy a Fusion and
was never responded to back so I brought the Dan Wesson's. I do hear from many here that ordered them love them. Just my 2 cents.
S/F Vic

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I like forged too, but I have never heard of a caspian frame breaking.....have you?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Fusion is having a sale on selected frames and slides. I'm also in the market for a frame, so the info here is excellent and time appropriate. :)

Bob

·
Registered
36 Posts
I want a 9mm Commander sized pistol but can't find one at anywhere like a reasonable price in my AO. I have decided to build one using the Caspian slide and frame. Have never built a 1911 so this should be an interesting experiment.

Charlie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.