1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I'm new here, and mostly new to 1911's. In fact, I don't own a 1911 as of yet. That's one reason I'm here. I'm currently looking at the Springfield GI 45's in both stainless and parkerized, along with the Taurus PT-1911. I'm wanting the biggest value for $ spent. Other 1911's would be fine too, that's just what my local dealer has in stock at present in my price range ($500 or so). Frills are nice, but mostly ruggedness of construction, reliability, and customer service if a problem does arise would be most important to me. I'm sure this is a common topic, but would really appreciate any suggestions that you experienced members have. Take care, and thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Welcome to the forum...:wavey:

I'll cast my vote for the Springfield...they been in the game longer, and they have EXCELLENT customer service...if you need it.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Welcome from IL!

Taurus has a lot of good features,and will do you well if you don't plan on changing much. Springfield is a solid base for customizing.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Welcome aboard.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Welcome---Also in NC. What part of NC? Tracy

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nice to have you! I was born in Cherry Point and stationed at Ft Bragg. NC has some beautiful country and very friendly people. As far as your choices, spend the little extra and get the Springfield, you'll be glad in the long run.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for the warm welcome. I'm near Asheville, in the western part of the state. As far as my choice of 1911's, I'm leaning towards Springfield. However, I'm thinking I might prefer the Mil-Spec instead of the GI. I've got to check with my dealer to see how easily available they are. A friend of mine has had a EMP 9mm ordered from the same dealer since early January. No word of when it will arrive, or why it has taken so long. Low supply vs large demand I would guess. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just an update, I went by my local dealer today looking at 1911's again. I chose the GI .45 Springfield in parkerized finish. It's on layaway now. I'm really looking forward to the day when she comes home with me. I have a few ideas for customizing her. Some better sights, and an extended beavertail grip safety would be nice. As far as the sights, what options do I have for an easy replacement, or are there any? Thanks again guys.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
WaterBoy,

What part of NC are you in? Tracy

PM me if you don't want that info out on the web.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Welcome waterboy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome! I have a son and a daughter (and a daughter moving there) in North Carolina (Apex). I think I'll retire there. :wink:

I have been looking at a used Springfield at my local dealer's. Nice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.