1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my wife finally convinced me that having little ones (grandkids) around daily, that my old method of having my handguns stored here and there in strategic locations thru out the house was perhaps not the best idea anymore. So, I didn`t spend alot, but I did get a small electronc safe, it will hold 4-6 easily. I`ll get it securely mounted in the closet this weekend, but at least as of tonight, she`s happy that the guns are more secure. And as we all know...if momma ain`t happy, nobody`s happy.:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
...if momma ain`t happy, nobody`s happy.:biggrin:
You got that right...

I have an 11 month old son running around the house (still a little wobbly, but he's getting there). I just rearranged mine (out of reach).

He likes to eyeball my 1911 when I'm wearing it without a shirt over it (yes, I even wear it at home), checking it out, touching it to see what it feels like....I get a kick out of watching him figure things out. I don't tell him, NO!...Don't touch that!...we all know what effect that has on kids. I just make sure no guns are within his reach around the house...this method worked for my older son (he's 15 now), so I'm going to do it the same way this time.

I think its best to let them get the curiosity out of their system...but thats just me...I ain't about to tell somebody how to raise their kids (or grandkids).

I've looked at safes, a few times actually, but never bought one...I do have what you might call a "vault" in the basement...big solid steel door, 2 locks.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
I'm old, and my memory fails me often, but I thought I remembered "msjdgman" being a female and her husband went by another username. No disrespect intended, but having a memory lapse at the moment.

Back to the original post, I have a "gunvault" on the floor next to the bed for the HD gun. I have a Craftsman roller box with 2 boxes sitting on it that are keyed alike and hold the rest of my firearms, primers, and powder. They stay locked up until I need something. I keep the keys to those "safes" locked up in a regular toolbox sitting on the floor next to it with a combination lock on it. Overkill-----probably. The youngest in my house is a 16 1/2 yr old. Tracy

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
I agree, keep them locked up. If you doubt that just think of the accidental :thinking:.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Well, lemme tell you about gunsafes and kids. I had a pistol box under the bed locked. One day, I walked into the bedroom and my 3 year olds were dragging out the 38 snubbie, yes it was loaded, because that was my wife's home protection gun. Thankfully it was still in the holster, and they were unable to physically get their hands on the trigger, and the strap held the hammer in place. I got physically sick. From then on, it was well out of the kid's reach, nor did they have a clue where it was at after that. Well, I either accidently left the keys on the nightstand, or they got them out of my dresser drawer, and figured out how to unlock the safe.

So if you think they don't know how, guess again.

We now have a different safe that uses a combination lock that has never been repeated in front of them, so they know where it is, and whats in it, but have no clue as to how to get in it. It would be solely a fluke that they could get the 5 digit code right.

One other thing I think that has helped with my girls, by the way, they will be 5 in two months, is that I frequently get my guns out, and keep them very interactive with my guns when I have them out. I let them touch them, look at them etc. Then I go over gun rules every time. This includes things such as:

Me, "Do little girls touch guns?"
Them, "No, unless Daddy says so."
Me, "What about toy guns?"
Them, "No."

Then I ask about gun parts, so far they know 1911, the butt, muzzle, trigger, and bolt. We then discuss never pointing the muzzle at anyone or anything. I ask them what comes out of the muzzle, and they tell me correctly. They know what bullets are too.

I do realize that there are always possibilities, but ever since I have been very open with them on guns, and let them be involved, they really show no interest in messing with them. I can leave a tore apart gun on the table and walk into the bedroom to get something, and they will be coloring, come back and they are still coloring. Its almost like its a part of their life, and they completely understand not to touch them.

This summer we begin with a BB gun. They've already started gun safety as you can tell.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm old, and my memory fails me often, but I thought I remembered "msjdgman" being a female and her husband went by another username. No disrespect intended, but having a memory lapse at the moment.
Tracy
Oh my gosh.....my wifes gonna be really upset if she reads this and thinks I`ve "turned".:eek:

Nah, no offense taken....my memory isn`t what it once was either. :bawling:

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I agree, I keep all my guns locked up except for my carry gun, which stays on me until I go to bed and then I exchange the carry gun for the night stand gun.
I'd reconsider, you can get a nice little safe that is designed to fit in a dresser drawer or nightstand drawer, that opens from the top with a digit combination lock, only take that extra 5 seconds or less with practice, and junior won't be able to get in.

Man after getting scared like I did, it puts a whole new perspective on things.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Sorry, I got you mixed up with another forumite and remember her saying her husband went by a diff username on the same forums. Saw the "ms" and put 2 & 2 together and got 5.

USMCMP, look up "GunVault", they've got great stuff at reasonable prices. The one by my bed I've timed myself and can have gun in hand in 3-5 secs. With 2 "yappy" dogs, any noise brings a chourus of barking. I'm a lite sleeper and wake easily anyway. Tracy

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Nope, Md (learned the "NEW" math). They didn't teach "sipherin". :wink: Tracy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts