1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds like the shooter did not know how to use the gun and got complacent with the rules of gun safety.

Link 1

Gene Kennedy reporting

A husband-to-be was accidentally shot to death over the weekend in Rush Valley.

Scott Flinchbaugh moved his life from Pennsylvania to Herriman to be with Cindy Hinnen and her four children. They were going to tie the knot in August at a rural home in Rush Valley.

On Saturday, Scott and Cindy were at the home helping another couple prepare for their upcoming wedding. During the visit, Finchbaugh got together with a few guys in the basement. Sgt. Brad Patch, with the Tooele County Sheriff's Office, said, "Four gentlemen started talking about firearms. They went downstairs where the owner has a gun safe. He has quite an array of guns, a collection."

A guest grabbed one of the handguns, thinking there wasn't a round in the chamber. Patch said, "His thumb slipped off the hammer and when it did, the gun discharged."

The bullet hit Scott Finchbaugh in the back. In minutes, he was dead.

The victim's future sister-in-law, Michelle Brewer, sent an e-mail to KSL saying: "Scott was a craftsman, a computer genius, an incredible chef and one of the most caring people I've ever known. My heart goes out to everyone involved in that fateful night -- an absolute tragedy."

Funeral arrangements are still being made for Finchbaugh, but his family says he'll be buried in hometown, Washington Boro, Pa.

Investigators with the Tooele County Sheriff's Office consider this a tragic accident.
According to this link he was a concealed permit holder so I am sure he had heard the rules of gun safety:
Link 2

By Lindsay Whitehurst
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 06/09/2008 09:28:35 AM MDT

A Herriman man is dead after an acquaintance accidently shot him in the back Saturday, police said.
At about 9:30 p.m., four men were working on a yard in Rush Valley for an upcoming wedding when the conversation turned to guns, Tooele County Sheriff's Office Sgt. Jason Sparks said. The homeowner has an extensive gun collection, Sparks said, and he brought out a .45-caliber Springfield model 1911 handgun.
A 66-year-old guest from out of state slid the rack back as he looked at the weapon. The guest, who holds a concealed weapons permit, checked if the gun was loaded, Sparks said, but did not see a bullet in the magazine. Sliding the rack raised the hammer, and to drop it, the man had to pull the trigger. When he did, the bullet shot from the gun and hit the 41-year-old Herriman man in the back. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Police did not release the name of either man, and are investigating to decide whether charges should be filed.
The two men knew each other, Sparks said. Their children are friends. Rush Valley is located about 10 miles south of Tooele.
When I was younger, and didn't know better, I would ride the hammer down on a 1911 on a loaded chamber. Later on I read the right way to use the thumb safety.

If I lower the hammer, I point the gun in a safe direction, remove the mag, double check that the chamber is empty, and squeeze the trigger.

·
Registered
122 Posts
One thing I will never do is have someone have access to my loaded weapon. Unless I'm at the range. There, a firing line is established and people make an effort to keep the muzzle down range. Even there I wouldn't give my gun to someone who I didin't know for sure was safe with a gun.

Very very sad.

·
Registered
394 Posts
That really is too bad. Safety can never be emphisized enough, regardless of someones experience and knowledge of guns.

·
Registered
692 Posts
That's so sad.
What were those guys thinking, 'playing' with guns that way. If the owner wanted to 'show off' he should have cleared each weapon before he handed it to anyone. He might be held responsible...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Tragic

Very sad. No one, and I mean NO ONE goes downstairs to see my gun safe, but me and my wife. Certainly not at a party or gathering of a number of people.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
+1. Everything in my safe is unloaded with no mags,and I triple-check them when I take them out too. It's also a select few who I open it up for.

I feel for the family,and for the guy who shot him. That kind of guilt must be killer.

·
Resident Septuagenarian
178 Posts
It's called negligence.....

As far as I'm concerned, there are no accidents with firearms.

It's called negligence.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.