1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I removed the MSH and leaf spring and then put them back together - just to see how things work. Now, even though the pistol fires and functions properly, the beaver tail saftey is very loose. so loose it moves on it's own. what should I do?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Bend the Leaf on the spring for the beavertail to add more tension ..

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Everything is okay now. Also, the trigger is now somewhat lighter - I would say somewhere around 4.5.

now that I know how to remove the MSH, im gonna get one of the S&A ones with a 19 pound spring.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
a 19# spring is not going to lower the trigger pull more than a couple OZ

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I've got a 19#, and it made a substantial difference, but I went from a 28 Springfield mainspring straight to the 19#. My trigger pull is crisp but clean at 4.5 lbs. I expect if you are already at 4.5, that Bud is probably right, and you won't see much more at all. Besides 4.5 is a good clean nice pull for a defensive weapon. I wouldn't go any lighter unless it was competition gun only.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, its more of a range gun now but it can be used a defensive gun if needed, what would you guys recomend to get a lighter action other then getting a trigger job?

I like the idea of a lighter MSH because the hammer is kind of hard to cock back - I like the lighter one like on Wilson and Ed brown

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I wouldn't change the Mainspring. I would go with a 23# and if I ever do replace mine, I'll go back to a 23. As for a trigger job, you don't want to lighten the trigger, you just want a clean crisp break without alot of jerk in the trigger. A light stoning to the sear and trigger hooks to get a good clean mate between the two is all I would do. Do a websearch for a poor mans trigger job.

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
Does your gun have the ILS mainspring housing? If so, there are a couple ways to go.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it does have the ILS.

I don't want to go messing around with stuff too much unless I know what im doing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Stonyman,

Dumping ILS is a great suggestion. I think it's the most fool-proof way to lighten up the trigger pull in your case. Can't be screwed up.

But you better know what you're doing if you start playing with the ignition group (sear/hammer) or springs.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Go to a reputable website and order a standard mainspring housing with all the guts including a 23# mainspring, and that will alleviate all your questions.

I didn't know or misread that you still had the Infernal Locking System

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah. I think im gonna get one with a Magwell from S&A. I don't have that much experiance with the ignition group but I have worked with the leaf spring a bit. That helped a little but with the creeping of the trigger, but its still a little too heavy. a new MSH would work great. I'm going to pick one up next stop at the gun store.
Now all I have to worry about is getting the pistol accurized and I'm set

Thanks
Rick

Also, Denis, what part of Jersey are you from?

I'm originaly from Clark - a small town in centeral Union County, just north of Westfield

·
Registered
122 Posts
Rick,
I've been all over NJ :). From the pits of hell (up in Passaic) to the farmland of Burlington county. I'm in East Brunswick now. I know exactly where Clark is - I work 5 minutes away in Rahway.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool.

Yeah, Passaic is a pit of hell. lol

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
you can take out the ILS with out changing the MSH .. you just order std guts and spring and can still use the housing .. cheaper if you have a mag well all ready

1 - 15 of 15 Posts